San Sau Seminar

Boozmork

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hiya,

I've just been invited to a San Sau seminar by my Sifu. He's told me a little bit about it but I'm still a little in the dark.
I'm in a class tonight so can probably find out more but I'm trying to break into this forum and trying to avoid arguments (like squeezing through the eye of a needle :p).

Can anyone tell me more about San Sau, what it is, what it involves and what I need to be focusing on as it gets closer.
Thanks all

IrishMonk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
San Sau is basically a 2 person "sparring" match that helps to put into use the movements of a particular form. Its not exactly sparring though, it's more of a pre choreographed set of moves ( attacks and defenses ) that are learned and then played out, first slowly, then at full speed and power to help you, as I said, to put the form movements into combat use.
At least that's my understanding of it... others may be able to elaborate. I've never been to a San Sau siminar..
Hope that helps...

Last edited:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
My understanding of san sau is free form sparring, usually full or hard contact. An interchangable term for san da.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know it most commonly refers to sanda/sanshou but something you said rings a bell Irish Monk.
I think I read something a while back online where some sifu was talking about what you described and called it san sao.
I think it can also mean loose techniques or something like that.
Then again i can't be sure.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guess we'll find out what the person putting it on thinks it is when Boozmork attends and lets us know :)

OP
B

Boozmork

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'll keep you informed. I was asking my Sifu about it at a lesson yesterday (I always ask to make sure I'm ready, though I'll probably go even if I wasn't, all info is good info)

He was telling me that it was learning how the form fed into application and there would be a lot of sparring drills. Slow attacks and drills to learn how it all fit together. Chi Sau and Dan Chi Sau as well, which I haven't done much of but I really enjoyed it.

I'll write it up though when I've been :p

Latest Discussions