Samurai Sword Basics

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
This isn't the answer you are looking for, but the overwhelming response you will get from those involved in traditional JMA, particularly the sword arts is "find an instructor." I can't say I disagree with that sentiment.

Lamont

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get familiar with sword handling first. Learning swordsmanship from texts might be of some benefit, but in all honesty, it's more for those who have already had a fair amount of training.

Find a teacher that knows what he is doing. Whether it's Kendo, Kenjutsu, Iaido, etc., is up to your personal tastes.

If you can't find one who specializes in the Japanese methods, then you can still get good instruction by joining a fencing club. While it's not exactly the same, at least you do get a chance to do some sword work, condition the body, and increase your awareness.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As has been said already.....Get a qualified instructor.

However, if you're interested in reading material, I would recommend Flashing Steel by Masayuki Shimabukuro Hanshi.

Qui-Gon, where are you located? Maybe someone can recommend an instructor.....?

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
Qui-Gon, if you are interested in Japanese swordsmanship with the katana, please come to the next 2 day Nami Ryu seminar in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania August 5-6 (Sat. & Sun.) $150.00 for both days.

http://www.yrjj.net/upcomingsems.htm

The seminar will cover the Kenjutsu, Iaijutsu and Aikijujutsu aspects of our sword style Nami Ryu.

Other seminars on Nami Ryu can be checked in that site I provided and from the following:

http://www.namiryu.com/seminars.html

http://swordforumbugei.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4537

http://www.masakatsuryu.com/

More about Nami Ryu swordsmanship can be learned here: www.namiryu.com

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
This isn't the answer you are looking for, but the overwhelming response you will get from those involved in traditional JMA, particularly the sword arts is "find an instructor." I can't say I disagree with that sentiment.

Lamont

I totally agree. Do to my time restraints it might be hard to fit in a class at a time of day when an instructor is available. With a video as a starting point, I can decide if it is something I would like to re-arrange my current schedule to accomodate live instruction.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a seminar might be what you need to try. The problem is a great many dojos don't host open seminars. So try a seminar but keep an open mind when it comes time to pick somewhere to train long term. A video might sound like the answer, but sword work is something you really have to do to get any kind of feel for.

If you tell us where you are located, perhaps we can help hook you up with a seminar in your area.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:

Lamont

I was going to suggest watching "The Last Samurai" 50 times, but Blindside's suggestion would be much better I think. :uhyeah:

Seriously, Finding a seminar would be a great way to acheive what you're looking for, such as WW posted. It'll offer a good introduction and you get to keep all your fingers as a side benefit. :rolleyes: If those posted aren't within a reasonable distance for you, we might be able to help you find something. Just let us know. I think you'll find the experience much more valuable than a video.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
let us know when you cut your calf trying to follow a video!
God forbid, but you get the point...

melj7077

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Flashing Steel book is very good and the video series is also good. However, having recently begun training with an actual person after 2 years of training on just the videos I do have to say that you should find an instructor. I too couldn't find one in my area so I did the next best thing but you can't get some of the nuances from watching a video or reading a book. Keep your eyes and ears open. There's probably a qualified instructor near you that you just haven't found out about yet.

Monkeyfist

White Belt
Reaction score
Since no one else answered your question about specific videos:

http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=79378&langId=-1&product_parentId=13869&crumb=13501-13753&categoryId=13869&parent_category_rn=15070

And yes, as the worn out cliche goes, you should try to find an instructor if possible. Of course, just because someone claims to be an instructor doesn't mean he or she knows what they're doing. So if you find a bad one (remember, martial art schools are not regulated) then you might get more harm than good from taking a live class.

kyudogrrl66

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
http://www.martialartsmart.net/prjs001.html

http://www.gungfu.com/cart-htm/media_videos_weapons_japan.htm
(I would consider the videos near the bottom of the page)

Yes, many have said it already. .....videos and other media makes for wonderful reference material, (video notes, so to speak). However it can be sort of awkward to learn from a video, and have to "unlearn" the video lessons after joining a real class (that is, if the video is not of the same style as the class).

Getting familiarized w/ nomenclature, ettiquette, history, and philosophy of sword is always a good way to start...

Good luck at your search for a class!!

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
However it can be sort of awkward to learn from a video, and have to "unlearn" the video lessons after joining a real class (that is, if the video is not of the same style as the class).
You would have to "unlearn" a bunch from video lessons whether it is the same style or not. The majority of movements in the Japanese sword arts are non-intuitive. Videos such as the ones referenced by Shimabukuro sensei are meant as reminders, video notes is a good term. They do not contain the hundreds of little pieces that your instructor would teach you such as proper grip, swing, alignment, whether you should be gripping tightly or loosely in this part of the kata, which way your hips move, where is your weight balanced, etc ... Learning on your own will, without fail, mean learning incorrectly.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your opinions, comments and references. Very helpfull. I will purchase a video but will also be searching for a live instructor in the Los Angeles / Orange County areas. Maybe start with a seminar if available in these areas.