Rules in the early IKC?

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I only pose this question in the kenpo section because the question at hand pertains mostly to the IKC, which created by Ed Parker, a kenpo creator, in hopes of fielding the most input...

Question is, upon the creation of the International Karate Championships, what were the (then) current rules for sparring? Forms? Etc.? How were they changed over time to accomodate the masses?

I know there are plenty of people around here that were there then that could help. Dave, Mr. Chapel, Mr. Hale, Mr. Bishop, etc.

Just wondering.

Thanks in advance.

:asian:

Bob White

Green Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rules have changed dramatically. While the idea is always the same, hit as often as you can, without getting hit yourself. One of the rules was changed immediatly. There used to be a rule that if you made excessive contact once, you were warned. It became known as "The Mike Stone Rule". Mike would make contact, get his warning, and then continue the fight with his opponent not wanting to be there anymore. Mike`s fighting record was 91-0. I think the technique worked for him.
You used to be able to score with elbows and knees. I remember watching Steve Sanders lose out on points because he would throw so many combinations that the judges could not agree on what he scored with. You also used to be able to do take downs and score with a follow up technique. Promoters liability and Korean influence have changed the rules throughout the years. I do feel strongly that Dr. Ron Chap`el`s influence in the early 80`s help uniform and discipline the judges to do the best job. The fighters and spectators started to understand what was expected to score and the level of the sport was raised as a result. I don`t feel he ever got the credit he deserved for a great job.
The rules continue to change.
Respectfully,
Bob White

Latest Discussions