Rudolph the outcast?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is Christmas morning here in Japan and I was thinking about that famous song we all know.

Am I the only one disturbed at the message it is sending?

Let me sum up what I hear when I listen to it.

Rudolph was a freak. Everyone hated him and cast him out of their group. But when only he could save them, they all came running and didn't even apologize for their treatment of him. Then Rudolph cast aside his dignity and helped them instead of telling all these cruel morons to go jump in the lake.

Excuse me, but that is a bit sick in my mind.

Merry Christmas everyone. :wuguns:

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, I have always, even as a boy, had a similar opinion of the story.
I didn't see that part that he cast aside his dignity, but I did see that he chose to spend his time and become friends with the cruel bigots that the other reindeer were.
I am glad someone else sees that song in a different light as well.

AoG

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is Christmas morning here in Japan and I was thinking about that famous song we all know.

Am I the only one disturbed at the message it is sending?

Let me sum up what I hear when I listen to it.

Rudolph was a freak. Everyone hated him and cast him out of their group. But when only he could save them, they all came running and didn't even apologize for their treatment of him. Then Rudolph cast aside his dignity and helped them instead of telling all these cruel morons to go jump in the lake.

Excuse me, but that is a bit sick in my mind.

Merry Christmas everyone. :wuguns:

Merry Christmas Don.

This and other traditional stories for the holidays as well as for children in general have something that could be questioned.

I found the story "funny" as well.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ayup. The other reindeer are typical narcissists, interested in Rudolph only because of what's in it for them. Shame, really. That Santa would keep a stable of such limited social awareness.

Dave

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ayup. The other reindeer are typical narcissists, interested in Rudolph only because of what's in it for them. Shame, really. That Santa would keep a stable of such limited social awareness.

Dave
Santa couldn't care less about their social awareness. I mean, really, he keeps a sweat shop full of "elves" (really just little kids that have been snatched from the streets of "Gnome", Alaska) hard at work year round. The reindeer just serve their purpose and when they get too old to pull the sleigh they become reindeer burgers to feed the "staff".

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you think the song is bad, you should see the TV special... everyone likes Rudolph, until the nose cover comes off and he is ostracized and leaves the herd, along with an elf who wants to be a dentist - both of them singing "I am just a misfit"
Why am I such a misfit?
I am not just a nitwit.
You can't fire me I quit,
since I don't fit in.
Why am I such a misfit?
I am not just a nitwit.
Just because my nose glows,
why don't I fit in?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Santa couldn't care less about their social awareness. I mean, really, he keeps a sweat shop full of "elves" (really just little kids that have been snatched from the streets of "Gnome", Alaska) hard at work year round. The reindeer just serve their purpose and when they get too old to pull the sleigh they become reindeer burgers to feed the "staff".

Santa wears red. The Devil wears red. Ever see them in the same room together at the same time? Coincidence? I think not.

Latest Discussions