Royce Gracie vs. Matt Hughes - who will win?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its been a long time since I've seen Royce fight. IMO, the fighters have greatly improved since the early days of the first UFC. That being said, Royce needs to IMO work more on his stand up game. Watching his UFC fights, I've never really seen him trade punches with his opponents.

Matt is a tough fighter. As much as I like Royce, I think I am leaning a bit more towards Matt.

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would imagine that experience goes to Gracie but I believe Matt will submit him early in the second round. Just too much power.
Terry

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where can one catch this?

My instructer says he (Gracie) is coming to Alexandria, Virginia next weekend and is enocouraging us all to go seem him

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think Gracie has the chin to take a solid punch from Hughes. I say KO.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
are you guys all smokin' crack? what's all this crap about "matt is way more powerful"...

blah, blah, blah! lay off the dope.

experience and technique will overcome power anyday! i thought you guys knew that. i've only seen that kind of thing posted on this forum a zillion times.

i got $10 that says Royce wipes the floor with him. any takers?

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
it will go to a decision. no ko's or submissions. so either a draw or a decision to hughes. i don't think royce will score a lot of points in the judge's eyes. that's my prediction.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Experience and technique sure do count. But Matt Hughes isn't an untrained, inexperienced kid off the street. He's trained and experienced, and he's younger and stronger.

Bigger, stronger, faster allways count for something as well. My money is on Hughes.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I totally agree with Adept, my money is on Hughes as well. And Royce may be a good fighter but his technique is by far not superior to Hughes.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hughes will probably win.

Gracie dominated at a time when stand-up strikers were unfamiliar with how to deal with a grappler, and of course, when he was a decade younger.

Hughes is very comfortable with either grappling or striking, whether it's stand-up or ground combat, and is in tip-top shape.

The only way I see Gracie defeating Hughes is if Hughes makes some sort of bone-headed mistake, and leaves a big opening. Hughes isn't likely to do that...

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hughes is the best fighter that I have seen so far to blend his pure wrestling skills with his very good jujitsu skills. All the wrestlers learn jujitsu but, he isn't afraid to use it & he seems to improve with every fight. Hughes should win, Gracie is to one dimensional.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think Royce would even consider entering a fight he wasn't sure he could win.

Whether he's right or not is something we'll have to see when the fight airs.

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
Think about how many people thought Ken Shamrock would have won when he made his "comeback" in the finale of the first (it was the first one right?) Ultimate Fighter. One slipup and his head was bounced off then floor of the octagon a number of times. Royce may have been brushing up on his stand up and striking game but against what calibur of fighters before this fight? No matter what experience and wisdom show over youth and power; my money is on what previous record shows. Matt Huges.

Latest Discussions