Reaction score
[yt]hukqFbyWJQE[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't Ron Kosakowski a member? Maybe he can tell us a little about this?

Ron Kosakowski

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Isn't Ron Kosakowski a member? Maybe he can tell us a little about this?
Hello folks, a student pointed this thread out to me. I can understand the confusion.

It was around 94 or 95 someone who ran a TV show called ESPY-TV did an interview at one of my workshops and filmed the stuff I was teaching. (I think it ran in northern Jersey, NYC and southern CT) At this workshop, I got a little bit ecsentric and blended all the styles I have been doing over the years together to show how they fit together. I VERY seldom do that now. I keep the systems seperate because learning a blend can tend to be to much to learn and of course, I am teaching my conclusion of the end result of the blend. I want my students to understand and develop what works for them not what works for me. All ancient systems have options but all those ancient systems have something for everyone to be good at even though they learn the whole system.

Anyway, you will see a blend of Kuntao Dumpag, Various grappling styles, JKD, Muay Thai in there. I would rather see a student going to all the classes I teach in those styles and whatever happens in a street situation is what they feel. So they come to their own conclusion. I will not teach it like this anymore.

I hope I am not confusing here and you get my point. :erg:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello folks, a student pointed this thread out to me. I can understand the confusion.

It was around 94 or 95 someone who ran a TV show called ESPY-TV did an interview at one of my workshops and filmed the stuff I was teaching. (I think it ran in northern Jersey, NYC and southern CT) At this workshop, I got a little bit ecsentric and blended all the styles I have been doing over the years together to show how they fit together. I VERY seldom do that now. I keep the systems seperate because learning a blend can tend to be to much to learn and of course, I am teaching my conclusion of the end result of the blend. I want my students to understand and develop what works for them not what works for me. All ancient systems have options but all those ancient systems have something for everyone to be good at even though they learn the whole system.

Anyway, you will see a blend of Kuntao Dumpag, Various grappling styles, JKD, Muay Thai in there. I would rather see a student going to all the classes I teach in those styles and whatever happens in a street situation is what they feel. So they come to their own conclusion. I will not teach it like this anymore.

I hope I am not confusing here and you get my point. :erg:
Thanks. I was hoping for a little more info about the kuntao wrestling, though. Maybe you could expand on that a little more?

Ron Kosakowski

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. I was hoping for a little more info about the kuntao wrestling, though. Maybe you could expand on that a little more?
There is no wrestling in Kuntao Dumpag. Ancient styles did not have grappling as you see it in its sport format today. The clench was done with biting, hair pulling, eye gauging and all other survival type tactics. What you see in the video is nothing more than a modern blend.

Here are 3 other videos of Kuntao Dumpage in its pure form:
[yt]kcwKu_UzwQk[/yt]

[yt]ltxzNkYJ47U[/yt]

This one starts off with some bad acting but you will be entertained I am sure:

[yt]ceDoIzvJvew[/yt]

I could not see how to embed the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions