Rocker, 2nd Brown

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rocker

Defense against a right-handed push from 12:00.
Evade the attack with a left step to 11:30. Pivot clockwise to absorb the force of the push and let it pass along your chest.
Bring the right hand up to trap the opponent's right hand against your right shoulder. Attack the back of his elbow with a left hammer-fist.
Maintain the entrapment of the opponent's right elbow. Bend his elbow down and back, and twist it until you place his wrist into the crook of your own elbow. While this happens, shift your left hand up to put pressure on the back of his right shoulder. This is an effective "Figure 4" elbow lock. Step with the left foot to 1:00 in front of the opponent. Apply leverage against his elbow and shoulder to force him to double over forward. Finish him with an appropriate finishing strike, or just hold and control him.

Hope my description is coherent enough.

I like this tech a lot, can be useful against a punch as well. The key, in my opinion, is making the evasive pivot so the attack shoots past you, and catching the arm in the "sissors" where you can control him.

comments?

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Rocker

Defense against a right-handed push from 12:00.
Evade the attack with a left step to 11:30. Pivot clockwise to absorb the force of the push and let it pass along your chest.
Bring the right hand up to trap the opponent's right hand against your right shoulder. Attack the back of his elbow with a left hammer-fist.
Maintain the entrapment of the opponent's right elbow. Bend his elbow down and back, and twist it until you place his wrist into the crook of your own elbow. While this happens, shift your left hand up to put pressure on the back of his right shoulder. This is an effective "Figure 4" elbow lock. Step with the left foot to 1:00 in front of the opponent. Apply leverage against his elbow and shoulder to force him to double over forward. Finish him with an appropriate finishing strike, or just hold and control him.

Hope my description is coherent enough.

I like this tech a lot, can be useful against a punch as well. The key, in my opinion, is making the evasive pivot so the attack shoots past you, and catching the arm in the "sissors" where you can control him.

comments?

If done correctly, you can actually absorb the opponent's force in your right shoulder in such a way that it causes the left foot to move forward, and increases the power of your "scissoring strike" to the opponent's elbow.

Whether the technique is applied as a lock or a break can be determined by how hard the opponent pushes.

One of my favorites.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depending on the intention or speed of the attack, I will sometimes step back with the right as avoind the push.

I too, like that technique.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If done correctly, you can actually absorb the opponent's force in your right shoulder in such a way that it causes the left foot to move forward, and increases the power of your "scissoring strike" to the opponent's elbow.

Yes, this is a fundamental principle that we use in Tibetan White Crane. This is one of those "Ah-ha" moments I have had, where I saw the parallel in one art to the other. Fun stuff!

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Whether the technique is applied as a lock or a break can be determined by how hard the opponent pushes.

One of my favorites.

Hi Dave...

I guess I could use a little illumination. I never cared much for Rocker, because, or so it seems to me, that in order to pull it off as demonstrated, you almost have to be in the correct physical set up before it is thrown, in order to make it work.

I have a problem with techniques that require you to be in a certain physical setup prior to execution to make them work. They are fine, I surmise, if you happen to be there and ready, but if you aren't then it is a pain in the patoot to get to that position in a timely and effective manner.

As I said ... I could probably use the education here, and appreciate your input. :)

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Dave...

I guess I could use a little illumination. I never cared much for Rocker, because, or so it seems to me, that in order to pull it off as demonstrated, you almost have to be in the correct physical set up before it is thrown, in order to make it work.

I have a problem with techniques that require you to be in a certain physical setup prior to execution to make them work. They are fine, I surmise, if you happen to be there and ready, but if you aren't then it is a pain in the patoot to get to that position in a timely and effective manner.

As I said ... I could probably use the education here, and appreciate your input. :)

I'll go ahead and take a stab at this and see if I can give a coherent explanation, since this is very very similar to the basic principles used in Tibetan White Crane.

OK, think of the body standing in a relaxed pose, arms down, not expecting an attack. The feet are about shoulder width, or maybe a little bit wider. Think of a rod going straight down thru the top of the head, along the spine, out the butt and into the ground. Think of the rod as a pivot point for the body.

Remember the Karate Kid II? Remember the stupid little drum on a stick, with little strings and weights attached to its sides, that Mr. Miyagi would spin in his hands, back and forth, and the strings with weights would whip out to the side like little arms? This is actually a good visualization for what is to come. You can also buy them in San Francisco's Chinatown.

So now, the push comes in to the right shoulder. Your shoulder gives way under the force of the push, but instead of allowing yourself to simply be pushed back, you pivot around the rod that goes thru your head and out your butt. Your body stays where it is, but you rotate. Your right shoulder rotates back, and this drives your left shoulder forward. This now sets you up to snatch his arm in the sissors, and the force of his push actually drove you onto his arm. You made the pivot, step forward a bit with the left foot if needed, you grabbed his arm with the sissors and put it into an armlock, and you did it based off the power of his push. The technique becomes almost effortless because you didn't do any work to get his arm. You let him supply you with all the power and force that you needed.

You have become Miyagi's drum. You simply rotated your body around a central pivot point, yielding on one side and striking on the other. If you wanted to, you could simply allow your left arm to swing around with the pivot, and strike him behind the jaw joint with a left raking fist. You'll move his jaw over to the side of his head. The key is that the arm and shoulder stay relaxed, and you allow the pivot to supply the power. Once you get the hang of it, and stop relying on your own physical strength in your arms, you can relax and actually hit like a sledgehammer. This is what we do in Tibetan White Crane. Long arm, loose and relaxed, swinging strikes, that hit like a pile of bricks.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Michael, Thanks for the explanation. I should have been a bit clearer. I understand the principles involved, and can do them. However, I've never felt comfortable relying on a technique that requires such a specialized movement if I am, for example, standing there with all my weight on my left leg, holding a (insert drink of your choice) in my hand while admiring a (insert admired object here). It seems to me, and I may very well be really wrong here, that this technique requires me to be constantly standing around with my feet spread out about shoulder width and hands relaxed, at my side. If you are a bit off kilter, as in my above example. It doesn't appear to work as advertised.

It, in fact, may very well work as advertised, and I simply never gave it a chance to grow on me. Thanks again for the explanation. I think I need to go and re-address Rocker. :lol:

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Michael, Thanks for the explanation. I should have been a bit clearer. I understand the principles involved, and can do them. However, I've never felt comfortable relying on a technique that requires such a specialized movement if I am, for example, standing there with all my weight on my left leg, holding a (insert drink of your choice) in my hand while admiring a (insert admired object here). It seems to me, and I may very well be really wrong here, that this technique requires me to be constantly standing around with my feet spread out about shoulder width and hands relaxed, at my side. If you are a bit off kilter, as in my above example. It doesn't appear to work as advertised.

It, in fact, may very well work as advertised, and I simply never gave it a chance to grow on me. Thanks again for the explanation. I think I need to go and re-address Rocker. :lol:

Ah, I see where you are coming from.

I think the pivot really works from many casual standing positions. I don't think you need to be in that specific stance, but it was just easier to describe from that position. It may not work from every position, but I think from many positions with just a bit of adjustment. But then, what tech ever works under every circumstance, without any adjustment and compensation? I have not yet found a tech that I would trust completely, under any and all circumstances, every time...
icon12.gif

I think it has some good ideas. to me, the sissors grab just sort of falls into place and I like the idea behind it. Just my feelings, I guess.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It matters a lot what part of the chest they are pushing: Left, right, or center. This one is best done against a cross push.
Sean

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I see where you are coming from, and you are right. But not every attack is a surprise. And, as you know, it works well against a right punch, too. I like to use it as part of a "bob and weave."