Ridge hand

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious if, when, and in what way you integrate ridgehand technique into your training. I learned it 30+ years ago and mixed it into my heavy bag work. The one time I had to defend myself after beginning TKD, a ridge hand to the side of the neck resulted in a one-shot KO. It's always been one of my favorite hand techniques, but it's not one that gets much coverage.

Carl

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I teach it fairly early on after the first kyu/gup promotion. The ridgehand doesn't have to be strictly a strike. It's also a useful opening motion for many unbalancing moves. (imagine a ridgehand being used to push your attackers head over from a beneath the nose contact point.)

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are right, there a lot of hand techs that we don't practice in the dojang, a ridge hand to the temple can give a KYO too, a heel palm hit to the chin or the nose also it's very uselful also the spear hand to the troat or eyes, etc,etc,. This days the more comon techs used inside the dojang are the reverse punch and the back fist and the hammer fist.

Manny

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The ride hand used to and still is one of my favorite techniques for laying someone out cold. Whether competing way back in the day or otherwise it has always served me very, very well!

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There's a ridge hand (reverse knife hand strike) in Choong Moo. My son and I just tested that pattern in our last belt test, so we've been doing it a lot (in the pattern and against a focus target.

ChrisJ

White Belt
Reaction score
I teach Ridge Hand at the same time Knife Hand is introduced. This is between yellow and green belt.

-Chris

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ridge hand is the second hand tech. we teach right after the lead hand/reverse punch.

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do you all teach/perform the technique with a bend elbow or a straight elbow?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you all teach/perform the technique with a bend elbow or a straight elbow?

I rarely lock out hand techniques completely, preferring to keep a minimal amount of flex in the elbow. True, you probably lose some power by doing this, but the rationale is to avoid joint damage in the thousands and thousands of repetitions you'd undoubtedly be making in just the road to BB alone. This is as my teacher taught me and I continue the practice.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I rarely lock out hand techniques completely, preferring to keep a minimal amount of flex in the elbow. True, you probably lose some power by doing this, but the rationale is to avoid joint damage in the thousands and thousands of repetitions you'd undoubtedly be making in just the road to BB alone. This is as my teacher taught me and I continue the practice.

That is good, solid advice!

MasterPistella

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I teach it at white belt after about 2 months of training. Normally we start using it in sparring just before they test for yellow belt. I love it, one of my favorite techniques.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Ridge hand is one of my all time favorite hand techniques, it was the first hand technique that I broke with when I was a child. I believe it is one of, if not the most, technical hand techniques to master though. I begin teaching it around 5-6 gup, although that is not a strict rule. We do not have form sets that utilize the ridge hand until 2nd dan (Chinto's inside circle ridge hands).

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love the ridgehand strike. One of my favorites.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is one hand technique that I have always used in sparring and is very effective. I too am a big fan.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a good lead in for a choke, and also an awesome technique to the groin.

Latest Discussions