Richard Tercell Suicide(?) & Thoughts

M

M.C. Busman

Hi Gary & All,

Gary brought up this topic in (I now realize) two threads here. I apologize for not commenting on this earlier, I wasn't ignoring you intentionally. This is an interesting subject, and it wouldn't hurt to examine it. We can share our thoughts here.

For years there has been talk about a kenpo/kung fu student names Richard "Dick" Tercell, who may have committed suicide in a martial arts studio. Many kenpo folks have talked about this, but the only specific treatment of the topic was in (here we go again) Will Tracy's article (opening umbrella). SO, let's consider that this subject is widely known among older kenpo and martial arts folks, and did happen. Some people were of the opinion Tercell intended to kill himself, others that it was an accident. First, let's examine the term suicide.

"Suicide" refers to the act of killing oneself. From latin "sui" = self, "-cide" = to kill. It doesn't necessarily mean one intended to do the deed! A coroner or medical examiner generally performs an autopsy, and renders a decision based on what they find and evidence collected at the scene.

A suicide may be rules "suicide/death by accident or misadventure", which means the individual didn't intend to die, but through their own actions somehow managed to bring about their own demise. Examples could include the fellow who bungee-jumped from a bridge with bungee cords that were longer than the distance between the bridge's top rail and the ground, or auto-erotic strangulation deaths where an individual tries to lessen the flow of blood to the brain to heighten a self-stimulation session. Oops!

In this case, we're focusing on a young man who according to one source hung himself in an attempt to perform a stunt. It was in a martial arts studio, and by that account he was wearing a martial arts uniform consistent with practice. He was found, it is said, hanging secured with a rope to a horizontal support beam by his neck. An unusual way to die certainly...but did he intend to die this way? Was this an intentional suicide, or death by misadventure?

Apparently others at the school made mention of a stunt involving martial prowess or training which required hanging from the neck which one could surmise, had been a recent topic of discussion. Others at the school were convinced Tercell had attempted to execute this manouver and hmade some sort of miscalculation, which resulted in his death. Dick Tercell wouldn't be the first performer or magician to die while rehersing a stunt. But because this occured during a time when martial arts practice was considered unusual and the general public still didn't know much about this kind of trick or stunt, emergency personell called it what it was based upon what they knew. Suicide, plain and simple.

Police, coroners, etc. are folks who make deductions based upon evidence and experience. What they see is what you get. In more recent time, emergency personnel have included more of an interpersonal approach to heartbreaking events like suicide, etc. Chances are though, that back in the daywhen Dick Tercell was practicing this technique, alone and without a spotter, the folks who investigated his death looked for the most obvious--the simplest-- explanation. Considering that Mr. Tercell hadn't intended to die went against everything they knew. The thought on this may have gone something like this: "Didn't intend to die?!! Fer crying out loud, he put a noose around his neck and hung himself--how could he not have intended to die?!!" The thought that he had been practicing a training technique or trick from another culture, and that he apparently didn't ucomprehend the dangers of practicing alone never crossed their minds--and if it did, it was probably only to think "ridiculous! I know what I see...", or so I speculate.

We could still obtain the death certificate in the county in which he died. It may also be possible to find the death report or autopsy, but I haven't any idea if something so old would still be on file. I suppose it would also be possible, if one could gather convincing evidence of the hanging stunt, to ask that the case be reopened and reconsidered in light of new evidence (certainly an old case like this wouldn't be a priority for any department--and Mr. Tercell's parents are probably long dead). Anyone in the area up for this?

I personally would suspect death by misadventure over intentional suicide, especially if the hanging technique is one that had been discussed in the school. Martial arts sometimes gives people unrealistic ideas about strength and power. As to what other martial artists thought about this, I suppose it would depend on their outlook and whether or not they had knowledge of the hanging stunt. Technically, it was a suicide--whether by misadventure would depend upon what one thought of the evidence. Further thoughts?

Stay Safe,

M.C. Busman

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
M.C.

Thanks for the information, I have gone to a web page supplied by Mr. Louie Jiles (www.americankenpo.com/emblem.html) I am currently doing some follow up with Master Jimmy Wing Woo.

I think the information contained on the above page and the home page of the same organization say's it all.

Regards, Gary