Retirement

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I made it through my Air Force retirement ceremony without becoming a total emotional wreck. 21 years was a long time and I can't believe how emotional it was, I honestly didn't think I was going to get choked up about it until I got up there to give my retirement speech and the emotions just took over. I was happy that my mother made it out since she was there with me to start the journey off and it was fitting that she should be there for me to close that chapter of my life as well. One of the highlights of my ceremony was me getting the opportunity to recognize my sons for their sacrifices and support over the years by presenting them with children's medals.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, and thank you for your service.

What's retired life gonna hold for you?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to you and thank you for your service.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your service. Congratulations on your retirement, and good luck in whatever life brings you next.

OP
S

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great for you! I went to my first one just last month (here at USAFA). Emotional indeed!

Thank you for the congrats. The funny thing about it was that it didn't really even hit me until I was walking up on to the stage right before the ceremony started. I had been putting on the uniform for over half my life now and it's going to be weird to not have to put it on.

OP
S

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations, and thank you for your service.

What's retired life gonna hold for you?

Retired life is going to be me working at the same base as a civilian so I'll still be working with the same people, I'll just have alot more hair then they do and I'll be in civilian clothes :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Congratulations on your retirement. I have a couple of guys working with me who are retired USAF as is my dad. Great perks.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats and thank you for your many years of service. I am still a few years away!

OP
S

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love it, they will have to push me out kicking and screaming.

I used to think that way as well and I had a mentor of mine tell me that "you'll know when it's time" and I'll be darned if he wasn't right LOL. Being in the military isn't an easy way of life for both the member's and thier families and I just got to a point where I decided I wasn't going to put my family through the stress anymore. Not trying to say that in a bad way cause I owe a ton to military and the opportunities it gave me, but my family certainly comes first.