Required reading for Hapkidoists

S

SmellyMonkey

To all you Hapkidoists who have been around a while, please help me out.

If you were a professor of Hapkido teaching the art at a university, what would your required reading list be?

Please give title, author, and why it should be required reading.

Thanks!
Jeremy

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Jeremy,

I my opinion, there is not a single book in print (or out of print) that properly covers Hapkido. This includes the 1000 page overpriced paperweight by Tedeschi.

There are some fun techniques to see in print from time to time - but save your money for training or a new dobok - it will be much better spent. Furthermore, get the college students just to bring blank paper - then make then write down what they learn and how to teach it - a much more valuable resource than any store bought book...

Sincerely,

Kevin Sogor

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Jeremy:

I hate to sound like I am putting you off but the fact is that what you want to read is going to be greatly influenced by the way in which you want to grab the subject. The person who wants a simple yu sool approach to the Hapkido arts could easily pick up on any of the books by Choe and be satisfied. That does not mean that "I" would be satisfied with them, but some people might be. Taking the Hapkido arts in another vein perhaps you might want a more Mu-Do oriented approach in which case the work of In Sun Seo or Joo Bang Lee might be something to look at. Maybe you are interested in pre-Choi Yong Sul in which case you are looking at the MYTBTJ, or maybe you are really interested in the DRAJJ roots in which case Kondo has a great book out. There simply isn't one single book that encapsulates the entire subject --- soup to nuts--- just like there is no such single book on Karate or Chuan Fa. The books that may come closest IMO are the two volume sert by He-young Kimm but there again the subject is limited to the yu sool level of the art. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
S

SmellyMonkey

Oops! I really wasn't clear in my first post.

I'm not looking for one book, or focusing on books with techniques/strikes/kicks. (Actually, I would rather stay away from "picture" books showing techniques. I get the techniques in class.)

I am interested in books on Korean/Japanese/Chinese history, books that deal with martial art honor, books that discuss general self defense, books that deal with Eastern medicine, books on Taoism/other philosophy, books on stretching and flexibility, etc. Even textbooks to help me study the Korean language.

I meant to pose a very open-ended question.

Thanks,
Jeremy

OP
S

SmellyMonkey

I'm going to give this thread a bump.

After reading "Hapkido Q&A", anyone can see that there are quite a few well read Hapkidoists out there.

Well, I want to be well-read too! Help me out!

Feel free to private message me if you want.

Jeremy

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Jeremy:

Sorry but your question is still too general for me to help you. Maybe if you could narrow things down a bit I might be able to make some recommendations.

I know that the one book any person who says that he studies Korean Martial Arts of ANY kind should and must read is the Mu Yei Tobo Tong Ji or "Comprehensive Illustrated Manual of Martial Arts". I can't imagine how anyone could possibly say they study Korean martial arts and not read this book cover to cover and get a feel for what authentic Korean martial practice is and the manner in which it can to be adopted by Korea. Once you have that under your belt then you can move off in a particular direction with some more specialized art. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
S

SmellyMonkey

Thanks Bruce. I will try and find that book. Hopefully you'll be around for me to ask questions about what I have read?

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure, nottaproblem. The easiest way to pick up on a copy is either to go straight to Turtle Press (they advertise in TKD TIMES) or sometimes Barnes and Nobles or even Borders has copies. You can certainly order it through Amazon and might even get a used copy cheap. It comes in both PB and HC. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bruce,

I found this on bn.com, does it look like the right book?

Comprehensive Illustrated Manual of Martial Arts of Ancient Korea: Muye Dobo Tongji
Sang H. Kim (Translator), Yi Duk-Moo, Park Je-Ga
Product Details:ISBN: 1880336480Format: Paperback, 400ppPub. Date: October 2000Publisher: Turtle Press CT

SYNOPSIS
Organized into 24 disciplines comprised of empty hand fighting, weaponry and horsemanship, this is an accurate historical snapshot of the warrior arts of the late 18th century. In 1789, King Chongjo, ruler of the Yi dynasty, ordered General Yi Duk-moo to compile an official textbook on all martial art forms present in Korea. The result, the Muye Dobo Tongji, is the only surviving classical text on the Korean arts of war. Based on the earliest known Korean martial arts treatise, the Muye Chebo (1599), the Muye Dobo Tongji clearly shows the influence of neighboring Japanese and Chinese armies.Through hundreds of wars and invasions, Korean soldiers adapted battlefield skills and tactics from their enemies, creating a unique system. Organized into 24 disciplines comprised of empty hand fighting, weaponry and horsemanship, this is an accurate historical snapshot of the warrior arts of the late 18th century. This marks the first time this volume is available in English. Carefully translated from the original text and illustrated with reproductions of ancient woodblock carvings, this book provides fascinating insights into Korea's martial arts legacy.
FROM THE CRITICS
Internet Book Watch
In 1789, King Jungjo, ruler of the Yi dynasty (1392-1910), ordered General Yi Duk-moo, Park Je-ga and Pak Dong-soo to compile an official textbook on all martial arts forms then extent in Korea for the purpose of preserving them for future generations. Their efforts became the "Muye Dobo Tongji", and the only surviving classical text on the Korean arts of war. Organized into twenty-four distinct disciplines comprised of empty hand fighting, weaponry and horsemanship, The Comprehensive Illustrated Manual Of Martial Arts Of Ancient Korea is ably translated into English for the benefit of a western readership and a core contribution to any personal, professional, or academic martial arts library collection.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A look down the road........

OK, so lets say that you have read the MYTBTJ. Where can you go from there? Lets take a look at a couple of options.

From a curricular standpoint you can always tease out a single chaper or weapon and begin to trace the use of that weapon. For instance, the Kwon Bup chapter takes a look at the requirements for what a Korean soldier needed to know as far as MTHanded fighting. Taking a look at the single techniques and then the way they are matched together would be one approach. Looking for other hints by researching Taizu Long Fist in China would be another approach. In this same way a person could tease out the chapter on staff or spear or any other weapon.

Let say you want to know more about the history that produced this book. Well there are more than a few personalities identified and in the front of the book is a timeline for organizing your research of these personalities as they impacted Korean tradition. You could just go right down the line and read up on each of those people or kings if you wanted to. The holds true for the foreign contributors.

Lets say that you want to know more about the culture or society in which these arts developed. There are a host of history books beginning with the SAMKUK YUSA (recently translated into English) all the way up to Lees' book (A NEW HISTORY OF KOREA). And I have not even started with articles and bibliographes........

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
S

SmellyMonkey

Has anyone heard of Sam Il Shin go? My master asked me to help her find a copy of the book. She doesn't care if it is in Korean or English.

From what I understand, it is a very old book (hundreds of years old) that explains the Korean understanding of ki and ki development.

I tried googling for it and looking it up on Amazon. No luck.

Thanks,
Jeremy

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
iron_ox said:
Hello Jeremy,

I my opinion, there is not a single book in print (or out of print) that properly covers Hapkido. This includes the 1000 page overpriced paperweight by Tedeschi.

There are some fun techniques to see in print from time to time - but save your money for training or a new dobok - it will be much better spent. Furthermore, get the college students just to bring blank paper - then make then write down what they learn and how to teach it - a much more valuable resource than any store bought book...

Sincerely,

Kevin Sogor

I wouldn't say its overpriced given the quality of the paper and binding. It is a ponderous work, though. Must way eight pounds or more.

Tedeschi's book is probably the best one out there with "Hapkido" in the title. Some of them are awful.

Some good non-Hapkido books to reference are Joo Bang Lee's Hwarangdo series (out of print, I think), Mike Echanis' series on stick and knife fighting, and Wally Jay's Small Circle Jujitsu books. George Kirby's books are pretty good too. Gozo Shioda had a book on Aikido that was interesting.

Regards,

Steve

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Steve,

I own all the other works you mention and they are quite good. The Tedeschi book is a farce! I think he said "lets take every movement possible with the human body and document it and call it Hapkido" - many of hand and kicking techniques can only be done if your opponent is motionless or already dead. Being a big volume does not make it any better than the others - I mean the Titanic didn't last long did it?

The Echanis book on the knife is a realistic book from a guy that fought with a knife for real, the other "big knife" book is "The Five Rings" - I recommend the 1974 editionfrom The Overlook Press, 13th Edition, Translated by Victor Harris - in my opinion, the best edition.

Sincerely,

Kevin Sogor

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not Hapkido books but IMO explain some of the principles behind the art. "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" - A. Westbrook & O. Ratti and "Secrets of Judo - A Text For Instructors And Students" - Jiichi Watanabe and Lindy Avakian. There needs to be a Hapkido Book like this. Bruce, Rudy, Up for the challenge?

Brian

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Derar Jeremy:

I think its fair to say that if you approach your investigation the way you are you will get into trouble and become very frustrated. Let me use mysaelf as an example.

I have working to purchase a copy of the Wu Bei Zhi. In Korean it would be pronounced "Moo Bee Zee". If you write the Chinese pronounciation in Han gul and the Korean name in Hangul you get different titles because Hangul is phonetic. Thats one of the reason we have so much trouble with a lot of Korean technique titles. What you will need to do is have your teacher write out the Chinese or Han-ja characters for the book title. Its a pain in the butt to deal with but I can guarentee that where ever you go this is what librarians and bookstore clerks are going to ask you for before they even begin to start to help you.

Kevin:

How did you make your choice on "Five Rings"? What did you like to much about that translation? I have Harris, but recently bought the Cleary translation and find it is much more technically to the point and less "poetic". What about you?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Bruce,

Personally, have the Cleary to, I think The Book of Five Rings is poetry, life poetry, I don't look at it as a technical manual, but rather a life stategy guide...

Also, newer book about Aikido founder from Shambala Press called Invincible Warrior is my most recent fun read...

Sincerely,

Kevin Sogor

greendragon

Green Belt
Reaction score
For my money the best book IMHO is the first Hapkido Bible by Dr. He Young Kimm... I am partial to this book for many reasons, but it has good layout, pictures are big, the sequencing is good and basically it is the complete early curriculum of the KHA set forth and put down by Ji Han Jae....
Michael Tomlinson

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In regards to "static" technique books....Why is it that the Hapkido books I own, or have perused,are organized in an ABC format? They are usually quite "dry",also.

The principles behind the motion(balance/center taking) are rarely, if ever touched on. We all know(or should) that there is so much more to it than "twist wrist this way,strike this way,throw this way",and I do think it's time some of the senior practitioners address this lack of depth.There are just not that many quality Hapkido books out there,outside of the general technique overkill.

I think it would be outstanding to see some conceptual theory and well explained technique,regardless of Kwan or affiliation.It may just broaden our horizons!:)

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Paul:

I think this falls into the category of "be careful what you ask for." Let me give you an example.

I once did a seminar down at the University of Indiana at Bloomington. Since the folks had been doing Hapkido for a while I decided to introduce them to some Brown Belt )say, about 3rd or 2nd guep material. It was a fiasco. The concepts focused on the six simple converting motions that allow a person to switch techniques first taught off the grab to using those same techniques when punched or struck at. It was very obvious that the students, regardless of how much time they had spent with Hapkido material simply could not get their heads around this information. I think such material is just a bit to "intellectually rich" for the typical students' palate. Let me use a metaphor you might appreciate.

In using a computer, many times I find that I manual goes into a lot of explanation I don't need. Often I will buy on of the ".....for Idiots" manuals because it simply gives me the information that I need to make a particular thing happen. Now, after I see that same bit consistently make a range of things happen I begin to absorb the concept. However, had someone tried to talk about the concept in and of itself, I would have fallen asleep.

In the books I write I go as far as defining concepts so that people have some idea of what those things are, but its really up to the individuals teacher to share that information appropriately. I once went to a seminar put on by one of the premier people in the Hapkido community and was astonished at how very little to person mantioned the concepts I was familiar with. I will go one step further and say that the overwhelming numbers of people who purport to teach Hapkido have little clue on the dynamics behind the art that makes it work. Rather they teach the physical part and leave it at that. For myself, I figure this recognition of the existence of this "hidden" work and the hunt for it in instruction is what separates the Hapkido hobbyist from a person who actually practices the art. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Latest Discussions