Remy Presas and Balintawak: Interview with Manong Ted Buot by Paul Janulis

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
I saw this mentioned as an article for this sites e-zine. I wasn't able to locate it though, does anyone know where it might be found?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Click on the "e-zine" at the top. It's issues #1, #3, #4, #5? Something like that. Basically, it's split into parts, an intro, the interview, then the conclusion.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The old issues are offline at the moment. We're debating on putting them up free or putting them together in a bound print edition.

OP
The Game

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
ah. free is always good. ;)

though, bound printed version is also good as well.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If there is going to be a printed version, I would like the chance to rewrite the conclusion. Not only would this keep it "fresh," my original conclusion could have been muc stronger. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Send it in Paul. I won't be getting to this until mid June unfortunately. So, you have some time :)

Rocky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
With a little luck their will be a Balintawak artical in the late fall on Remys Balintawak and what he and his instructors added and why, and the American connection and what influence it had on Modern Arnis, I am hoping for Blackbelt we will see.

Rocky

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rocky said:
With a little luck their will be a Balintawak artical in the late fall on Remys Balintawak and what he and his instructors added and why, and the American connection and what influence it had on Modern Arnis, I am hoping for Blackbelt we will see.

Rocky

That's cool. Sounds like an interesting read.

The article that I wrote for MT mag was a print quality article. However, I would much rather submit an article to Bob as long as the publication is professional rather then BB mag. I have never submitted anything to them, and I am not sure I ever will unless an editor can convince me otherwise.

The reason is because I don't believe that BB operates with a high level of integrity. Much of their featured stories and personalities are people who spend money for advertisements with them. They seem to endorse those who fill their pockets, and neglect those who do not. I have a problem with this type of promotion, as I feel that it lacks the honesty that a news/informational publication should have.

That is my personal feeling on the matter; again, unless I am able to have a personal conversation with a member of BB mags staff to get a better understanding if I am mistaken.

Yet, I don't negatively judge those who would send them articles. The advantage of BB is a large distribution, so a lot of people will be able to hear what you have to say.

So, if you want to do it, go for it and hopefully you'll get published. I wouldn't neglect other publications, though. Sometimes their may be less readership, but I will take less readership over integrity if that is what it boils down too.

Sometimes less is more...

Yours,
Paul

Rocky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
That's cool. Sounds like an interesting read.

The article that I wrote for MT mag was a print quality article. However, I would much rather submit an article to Bob as long as the publication is professional rather then BB mag. I have never submitted anything to them, and I am not sure I ever will unless an editor can convince me otherwise.

The reason is because I don't believe that BB operates with a high level of integrity. Much of their featured stories and personalities are people who spend money for advertisements with them. They seem to endorse those who fill their pockets, and neglect those who do not. I have a problem with this type of promotion, as I feel that it lacks the honesty that a news/informational publication should have.

That is my personal feeling on the matter; again, unless I am able to have a personal conversation with a member of BB mags staff to get a better understanding if I am mistaken.

Yet, I don't negatively judge those who would send them articles. The advantage of BB is a large distribution, so a lot of people will be able to hear what you have to say.

So, if you want to do it, go for it and hopefully you'll get published. I wouldn't neglect other publications, though. Sometimes their may be less readership, but I will take less readership over integrity if that is what it boils down too.

Sometimes less is more...

Yours,
Paul

Publication is publication, Blackbelt use to be the one true source, but I will agree that over the last 10 years or so they have changed quite a bit in the past I worked with Mr. Colemen when he was an editor I don't know anyone there anymore its been so long. I also liked Michael DePasguels Karate International they are good people. Generally at least back in the day we would submit articals to 3 or 4 different publications hoping to get picked up in one. Now a days it seems a bit harder to get into any of them. I am hopeing that some of the older timers are around and remember me.

At any rate like I said any publication is good, this digest or the magizine tah is affiliated with it is great too. Especially since you know anyone that reads it reads it because they are really into the arts.

anyways I wasn't trying to compete with your artical I am sure my artical will be far different from yours I intend on touching on many things. From Remy's Balintawak and the indirect influence Doce Pares' had on his foot work, to the jaming techniques from Crossada DeMano and Moncols Balintawak,and Tajarkata (sp).

Rocky

OP
The Game

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
Either way, looking forward to it all.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rocky said:
anyways I wasn't trying to compete with your artical I am sure my artical will be far different from yours I intend on touching on many things.
Rocky

Oh no; I wasn't thinking like that. By all means I would be interested in reading your article; I didn't think along the lines of competition or anything.

I was just making the point that the integrity of some of the print mags are no longer the same, so if for some reason you find that you can't get rhough to blackbelt, don't be discouraged. There are other print as well as E-publications worth considering.

:)

Paul

Rocky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Oh no; I wasn't thinking like that. By all means I would be interested in reading your article; I didn't think along the lines of competition or anything.

I was just making the point that the integrity of some of the print mags are no longer the same, so if for some reason you find that you can't get rhough to blackbelt, don't be discouraged. There are other print as well as E-publications worth considering.

:)

Paul

I hear that, BB used to be the bible of Martial arts but it seems to have taken a turn.

BTW I just drop what i owe you in the mail today I missed the mail the other day!

Rocky

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The interviews were in several older editions of our ezine, which I'm in the process of reediting into a bound edition. Currently they are unavailable AFAIK.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Bob for the info.
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions