Remembering Rick Rescola, a hero

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I couldn't bring myself to posting this in the Memorials section, as he had too much of a colorful life. And, according to a couple of comments that I read about him, he would not have wanted it that way.

Yesterday evening as I was fading in and out of consciousness, I caught the story of Mr. Rick Rescola...a pivotal hero of 9/11. His story is captured on this military blog.

He's a fellow that was born in Cornwall, UK, leaving to serve the Royal military at 16. In a desire to fight communism, he emigrated to the States to serve the U.S. Army in Vietnam.

His post-war life included working his way up to become Morgan Stanley's Vice President of Security and worked at the Twin Towers. At the time of the disaster, he called his wife Susan, telling her "I've got to get these people out" and "You've made my life"

He was supposedly heard singing Cornish fight songs and God Bless America in to his bullhorn as he urged people down the stairs. He was spotted as high as the 72nd floor, but wouldn't leave when he heard 3 Morgan Stanley employees were still trapped inside.

He helped 2600 Morgan Stanley employees escape with their life. He was believed to be on the 10th floor when the tower collapsed, taking his life.

A soldier, a hero, and an absolutely fascinating person. May you never be forgotten.

Thank you, Rick!

:asian:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Truth to tell, there are worse ways to go. He died helping people and showing his courage to the end. The world is poorer for his passing.

Aikironin

Orange Belt
Reaction score
oddly enough, not only did he prove himself as a courageous hero in WTC, but his Vietnam duty included being at landing zone X ray, during the "We were Soldiers..." Not sure if that was mentioned in other threads.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
oddly enough, not only did he prove himself as a courageous hero in WTC, but his Vietnam duty included being at landing zone X ray, during the "We were Soldiers..." Not sure if that was mentioned in other threads.

It is mentioned in the blog that I linked to. I probably should have described it in more detail as you are right...9/11 was not the first time Rick Rescola was a hero. :asian:

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
What an amazing human being, Semper Fi......:asian:

Frmr. Sergeant Matt Morton USMC

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rick was featured on the original cover of "We Were Soldiers Once, and Young," a powerful book about America's first large battle of the Vietnam war, Ia Drang.

I recommend this book to everybody.

Rick's role in the battle was short, but colorful and dramatic. He led a bayonet charge at the end of it.

Sadly, Mel Gibson had to perform this little role in the movie "We Were Soldiers," a dramatization of the book that is sadly inaccurate and has Gibson doing the work of many of the true heroes of the battle.

Rescola never left anyone behind on the battlefield, he never left anyone behind on 9-11. He was a leader to the end.

Regards,

Steve