Referee certification

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How does your organization handle referee certification? What are the requirements to be a referee? Is referee certification required at any particular rank? What, in your mind, is the purpose of referee certification?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
How does your organization handle referee certification? What are the requirements to be a referee? Is referee certification required at any particular rank? What, in your mind, is the purpose of referee certification?

USA Taekwondo has a graduated referee level program. Black belts can be certified by taking the course, which is 8hrs long (though Red belts can take the course-sort of like auditing a college class). There is a lecture on the rules, practice of hand-signals, and situational drills.

If anyone is interested, the Referee Rule book is available to download at this site:
http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/USAT_Rules_REVISE_March07_7.pdf

I enjoy refereeing-it is a good way for me to be involved in the sporting aspects even though I am past my.... ahem, competitive prime.

I also required my 1st dans to take the Referee training and to assist at the State Championships. This way, there are some qualified referees available and that makes the event run a bit smoother.

We have not had a true State Championship (i.e. sanctioned by USAT) in several years but my folks still pitch in at local tournaments. Michigan will have a sanctioned State Championship this year. We are working out the details...

Miles

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty much on the same page as Miles. I think it is very important and should be taught as part of the school curriculum.

As for my refereeing, for me personally, the Senior Nationals in Oct, 2005 in San Jose was my last and final one.

BTW Miles, there is an Ultra division at the US Open, have you thought of going there for one last play time?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have to take a test before the tournament, pretty much instructors, or even just Black Belts, should need be. It's a couple of pages and full of tricky rule questions. (I hope I get away with just score keeping, or time keeping...I am way slow in putting up scores...)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty much on the same page as Miles. I think it is very important and should be taught as part of the school curriculum.

As for my refereeing, for me personally, the Senior Nationals in Oct, 2005 in San Jose was my last and final one.

BTW Miles, there is an Ultra division at the US Open, have you thought of going there for one last play time?

Hi Wade, no haven't competed since Sr. Nats in Detroit in 2002. I've been working on my refereeing since then. I intend to referee this Summer when the Junior Olympics and Sr. Nationals are here again.

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Wade, no haven't competed since Sr. Nats in Detroit in 2002. I've been working on my refereeing since then. I intend to referee this Summer when the Junior Olympics and Sr. Nationals are here again.

Miles

Good for you Miles see you then

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good for you Miles see you then

You'll see me at Master Penfil's in a few weeks. Am looking forward to training with you!

Wade, I'll be cheering you on at Nationals (unless of course, I am refereeing your division, then I'll be completely objective).

Miles

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
:), Thanks Miles, that's all I ask for. The last time I competed was in 94 and I figure since I have to be there anyway to test I might as well do it one last time. At my age this will probably be the last time for both so I might as well go out with a bang. Oh yeah, then on to Pat O'Brien's afterwords for a Hurricane to soak my bruises in.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You'll see me at Master Penfil's in a few weeks. Am looking forward to training with you!

Wade, I'll be cheering you on at Nationals (unless of course, I am refereeing your division, then I'll be completely objective).

Miles

This is so true Miles I will see you in a few weeks.