Recent Studies On Stretching?!

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is 'old news'.

I recommend the book 'Stretching Scientifically' by Thomas Kurz. He summarizes research findings from the last 20+ years on sport-specific stretching, warmups, strength, and flexibility, and applies them directly to martial arts. Much of the reseaqrch he sites is from the old former 'Soviet Bloc' regimes and their sports programs.

His website at Stadion Press offers several short articles excerpted from his research.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, that's the word. Old habits do die hard though. Often before class begins I will be on the matt doing old fashioned static stretches even though I know better now. In order to "kick the habit" I have recently begun to hit the heavy bag for about 5 minutes instead of stretching. I do believe it helps.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For every bad study I can find another one that says it is great doing it. For me it is what works best for everybody.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An interesting article.
I had been taught to stretch but not to hold the position. Just do the strength then relax back to normal trying each rep to stretch a little more

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
This article seems to focus purely on the performance effects of static stretching before activity. It does not address the potential benefits of static stretching as part of the cool down routine or as part of a regimen to increase range of motion.

cooker1

White Belt
Reaction score
I think the article makes good points, but the reason I stretch is to find injuries.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So what i understand from this info is that range of motion=flexibility.

that means that motion is a big part of stretching.

in my younger years, i used to do lots of the warming up instinctively and because i would read books on stretching(for example:jean frenette) that mentioned how it affects the body. Also how breathing, relaxation was important. Problem is that i was so jumpy and active back then and i didn't think that that may have been a crucial ingredient as to how i achieved the flexibility back then. From now on i will make sure to use static stretching only after doing warmup and dynamic stretching.

For dynamic stretching for lower body, i will do things like raising my leg over and over again as high as i can, forwards side and back. also, as i have been doing alone and in training, i will walk on my knees and do lunging motions with legs really wide.
What i used to do lots of before was negative stretching, where you push against the stretch really hard for a given amount of time, and then relax again. One thing that is true that i know and have been told at various seminars is that flexibility is in the mind. One has to visualize the goal, believe firmly that one can attain it and keep at it.

For static stretching(i guess after warming up) without extreme pain but still enough tension, i believe a static stretch becomes useful only if held for at least 15 min, ideally around 20 min. key word is relaxation..

martialartspeon

White Belt
Reaction score
Ah great . . . now I have to try and remove the routine I have developed over all my old years.

I must say I tend not to stretch too much unless I am specifically working on a stretching class. I still find that my flexibility is greatly improved by this.

I guess don't static stretch before a workout. But do lots of static stretching if your goal for the workout is to increase flexibility.

This is what gymnasts do to increase their flexibility. They have people stretch them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah, Ashtanga yoga practitioners aren't flexible because they do static stretching.

Ashtanga Yoga also has a fair amount of dynamic stretching as well.

But you do make a good point, many people who practice Yoga are rather strong, flexible and insanely healthy and there is a fair amount of static stretching along with dynamic. But there are also some pretty nasty Yoga related injuries too.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the article makes good points, but the reason I stretch is to find injuries.
Excellent, particularly for MA-ist. You could be hurting somewhere and not know it until a crucial moment and it could make the difference between a tournament win (for those who compete) and a loss.
But I agree with dynamic stretching vs static. For myself a hike to a cave is about dynamic stretching before the actual caving itself. For MA-ist it wouldn't hurt to park the car a bit further away from the dojo than you normally do and walking to the building to help start the warm up. By the time you get there, especially if it's a 5 minute walk (like far end of the parking lot if possible or around the block depending upon where you live/train, your legs at least have gotten the blood flow they need and you can comfortably begin your regime of dynamic stretches before class starts.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if it can be argued that static stretching is bad for the muscles, cant it also be argued that lifting weights is just as bad or even worse? I have some joint problems some worse than others. If I didnt stretch at all before working out Id be in a world of trouble.

B

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
if it can be argued that static stretching is bad for the muscles...
The NYT article is not arguing that.

What the studies that the article refers to found is that static stretching inhibits the speed and power at which muscles can act in athletic endeavors, like playing football or basketball, or running in a track and field event. The reason lies in nervous system's response to static stretching - specifically, the inhibitory reflex that the article mentions.

Static stretching, including isometric and pnf stretching, can indeed improve your flexibility. The key is knowing when to do these stretches in your workouts and training. If you're about to do a martial arts class in an art like TKD or karate, static stretching before the workout won't help your performance in any athletic aspect of your class (for example, sparring), because it will slow and weaken your muscles' responses. On the other hand, doing static stretching at the end of your class is an excellent way to improve your flexibility, provided that you practice the dynamic stretching that is inherent in your techniques.

In short, there's a danger of drawing a fallacious conclusion from this article. The article does not suggest that static stretching is ineffective. Rather, it says that static stretching is ineffective, and even counterproductive, when done before an athletic activity.

As Ninjamom noted, this is "old news". There are numerous academic studies that confirm what the NYT article says.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Before each workout I do a good bit of shadow boxing. Lots of one-timing exercises. Then I do a bit of kicking on the bag and streatch some. And then when the class is over I do some hard streatching.

The WORST I've ever seen is at a different school. They do just some prefunctional warmups and then start the regular class. And no streatching after class. Few can kick high there. No wonder!

Deaf

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
1) Joint Loosening (not stretching, just range of motion rotation for the joints)
2) "Warm up" (get hhe muscles warm and loose and blood flowing.. jogging, jumping jacks, shadow boxing...)
3) "Dynamic" stretching (not ballistic)
4) Work out
5) Static stretch as part of cool down

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phys Ed
Stretching: The Truth

If you’re like most of us, you were taught the importance of warm-up exercises back in grade school, and you’ve likely continued with pretty much the same routine ever since. Science, however, has moved on. Researchers now believe that some of the more entrenched elements of many athletes’ warm-up regimens are not only a waste of time but actually bad for you. The old presumption that holding a stretch for 20 to 30 seconds — known as static stretching — primes muscles for a workout is dead wrong. It actually weakens them.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One thing for sure? ....as you age and do less excerising, less movements, less of everything?

YOU WILL LOSE ALOT OF YOUR STRETCHING and struggle bending over to put on your shoes.

Best to keep on doing as much excerise as you can.

TODAY I NO CAN? ....stretch as much...move as fast...bend...or reach as far.

Funny the mind still think one can?

Now over 55 and still slowing down......down....THE MIND STILL THINK It CAN...

Aloha, too much beaching....relaxing...and enjoying the sunsets..

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score

"If you’re like most of us, you were taught the importance of warm-up exercises back in grade school, and you’ve likely continued with pretty much the same routine ever since. Science, however, has moved on. Researchers now believe that some of the more entrenched elements of many athletes’ warm-up regimens are not only a waste of time but actually bad for you. The old presumption that holding a stretch for 20 to 30 seconds — known as static stretching — primes muscles for a workout is dead wrong. It actually weakens them."

Yes, that's true - in proper context.

Note again that the quote talks about an athlete's warmup. The weakening the quote refers to is due to the contractions induced by the stretch reflex (the myotatic reflex).

Specific types of static stretching after a thorough cardiovascular warmup or workout can overcome this reflex and allow you to increase your flexibility.

In short: static stretching is an effective way to improve your flexibility, but you have to do it at the proper time in your workouts. Doing it before any type of athletic activity will lead to the results cited in the article.

Latest Discussions