Recent Rank Testing

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I passed! I am now a 3rd Degree Level 1 Black Belt :supcool:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Since when did a Dan have levels.

Congrats on your passing but what does level 1 mean?

Ahh, it's an ITA/Tiger-Rock thing.

Each BB has 4 levels. Simple enough. instead of making it probational, decided and senior, they just make it 1, 2, 3, 4.
No magic behind it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations.

I understand the mechanics behind the "interval" tests, but other than as a revenue generator I've never seen any reason for them. What's the rationale behind this process? I have a friend who is Chodan in a local Kukki school, and he tells me he has to earn "7 stripes and 7 stars" (or somesuch, I could easily be wrong on the exact number) before he can test for Eedan.

In our Moo Duk Kwan school, we're simple minded. You train, after an appropriate interval you're invited to test, and you either pass (and are promoted) or you don't.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations.

I understand the mechanics behind the "interval" tests, but other than as a revenue generator I've never seen any reason for them. What's the rationale behind this process? I have a friend who is Chodan in a local Kukki school, and he tells me he has to earn "7 stripes and 7 stars" (or somesuch, I could easily be wrong on the exact number) before he can test for Eedan.

In our Moo Duk Kwan school, we're simple minded. You train, after an appropriate interval you're invited to test, and you either pass (and are promoted) or you don't.
We are the same as you. But I can see how it tests or guages your level of knowledge as you progress to the next Dan, hope they don't have to pay for each level in between.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just love to see someone spout out good news and people start turning it into a "that's just wrong because we don't do that" type of discussion.

Karatemom...congrats on your success and keep up the hard work.

The rest...start a new thread where you politely crap on the whole thing. I don't believe she asked any of us our opinion on what we feel is right or wrong about about what she does at her school.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congrats!!! I passed my mid level dan rank too so I could say I am 1st level 2nd degree black belt??

Manny

I think we can say that.
But I am sure you have a much cooler name for it! :)

Congratulations to you as well!

OP
karatemom

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think we can say that.
But I am sure you have a much cooler name for it! :)

Congratulations to you as well!

Ditto what Granfire said!

By the way, thanks for stepping in and explaining the history/rationale behind the ITA now known as Tiger Rock Martial Arts system.