Reason to be paranoid in Japan

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You want to know why I have so many traps in my yard? You want to know why I keep a watch dog in my room? You want to know why everyone who knows me says I am paranoid?

Watch this to see why!

Arizona Angel

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I slept sound enough for someone to so much as enter my house without me hearing it. That was really messed up.

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well there is a term in Japanese- yarase. It is when someone pulls something staged off to make it look like it was not. As you can imagine, only something that happens a lot gets its own term.

I rather suspect that a lot of this was yarase. Maybe the first one or two were real. But not even one of the guys sat up in the middle of this and asked what the hell was going on. Sneaking a camera crew into someone's room- maybe. But getting the guy out into the sun and to a working waterslide without him waking up?

The only way I can believe that is if maybe they took the guy out the night before and got him completly trashed. What a way to face the next day's hangover.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only way I can believe that is if maybe they took the guy out the night before and got him completly trashed. What a way to face the next day's hangover.

Or maybe the guy in each case lost some kind of major bet and this was how he was allowed to get out of having to pay?? I'd do it that way, if it ever came to that. :uhyeah:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um....yeah. Creative is a good word it. :D

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kind of like a train wreck, but amusing.

It's great---you get to enter a completely demented world whenever you like, and leave when you feel like it.... what could be better?

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a story in martial arts how Miyamoto Musashi trained under Tsukuhara Bokuden in swordsmanship. Before he ever learned how to swing a sword, he was stalked at every chance by Bokuden to make him learn awareness. The story is a myth, but it does show how important awareness is in Japanese martial arts. You might also remember the scene in the seven samurai where they had someone stand behind a door and try to attack potential recruits as they walked in. The best one would not walk through the door until the attacker put down his stick.

Well...... this clip is a lesson of the type of thing I am always on the look out for here in Japan.

Watch at your own risk!