Realistic Self Defense in Los Angeles

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
So Ive heard of guys like Jim Grover (Kelly McCann), Charles Nelson, and other military types of self defense. But i cant seem to find many in Los Angeles

Jim Grover is recommended but people accuse him of padding his resume. and Kelly McCann teaches out of virginia. Charles Nelsons students teach NEAR California but not anywere near LA.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on who in LA teaches good self defense arts and techniques?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So Ive heard of guys like Jim Grover (Kelly McCann), Charles Nelson, and other military types of self defense. But i cant seem to find many in Los Angeles

Jim Grover is recommended but people accuse him of padding his resume. and Kelly McCann teaches out of virginia. Charles Nelsons students teach NEAR California but not anywere near LA.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on who in LA teaches good self defense arts and techniques?

Jim Grover is a pen name for Kelly McCann, so this is a little confusing. Are you looking specifically for military combatives, or are you looking for Reality Based Self Defense? Not necessarily the same thing.

You could try these guys,certified by American Combatives founder John Kary http://www.awcct.com/index.html I have no knowledge of them, but I'm told google is your friend.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you looking specifically for RBSD people, or any art, as long as its effective? Of course, like I always say, its not the art, but the person.

OP
M

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
Are you looking specifically for RBSD people, or any art, as long as its effective? Of course, like I always say, its not the art, but the person.

Any art as long as its effective.

OP
M

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jim Grover is a pen name for Kelly McCann, so this is a little confusing. Are you looking specifically for military combatives, or are you looking for Reality Based Self Defense? Not necessarily the same thing.

You could try these guys,certified by American Combatives founder John Kary http://www.awcct.com/index.html I have no knowledge of them, but I'm told google is your friend.

Yeah I know Jim Grover and Kelly McCann are the same person i like McCann's videos really affective looking stuff.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any art as long as its effective.

Well, LA is the mecca of martial arts, so you have alot to pick from. There are a ton of Kajukenbo schools, BJJ, FMA, you name it.

My suggestion would be to figure out what you're looking to get out of your training, what arts interest you, and go from there.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
L.A. has some very good Krav Maga if you want RBSD. And it is also taught to military. Google Darren Levine.

corwin137

White Belt
Reaction score
Among other folk, have been going to Steve Grody for many years. Would emphatically encourage him. Student and stand-in teacher for Dan Inosanto for many years among others. Am happy to answer any specific questions about his methods. http://www.stevegrody.com

OP
M

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ive been looking at Muay Thai and stuff like that but then i see guys like McCann and another guy they had adapted the elbow to be faster less technique based like just a elbow flying up into your face no set up. So im wondering if this is one of the diffrences between traditional martial arts and people who just focus on the street defense.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ive been looking at Muay Thai and stuff like that but then i see guys like McCann and another guy they had adapted the elbow to be faster less technique based like just a elbow flying up into your face no set up. So im wondering if this is one of the diffrences between traditional martial arts and people who just focus on the street defense.

Part of the difference is application. A punch is a punch, and kick is a kick, but how you apply it in different environments is important.

That's a big part of the training difference is adapting the training to fit the application.

For example, as Hock pointed in one of his articles, boxing is a great art to learn learn punching and foot work from, but the limitation is that if you learn to punch solely by wearing wrapped hands and gloves, you seriously risk breaking your hand when applying those punching skills barehanded.

The answer is to modify the techniques to fit the intended application. One must first understand the nature of the thing to understand how it applies.

Latest Discussions