Rates....

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have been having a lot of discussions on what our rates should be. I'd like to have a discussion and possibly compare what others are charging for their photography. I know that there is a chasm of difference between portraiture of people and horses or glamour shots versus horse show shots, but I'm curious where we fall. Right now, our rates are as follows:
4x6 - $10
5x7 - $15
8x10 - $20
8 Wallets - $20
High res Digital image - $30
Low res Digital image - $15
High res CD - $250
Low res CD - $100

$90 sitting fee, plus extra $50 for each additional horse and $0.45 per mile, outside of a 45 mile radius from our house.

We have the challenge of trying to break into the market as a new photographer and not being too far down to anger the other photographers by drastically undercutting them. Also, by undercutting too far, it takes away our ability to eventually make more money, since it is pretty hard to raise your prices once they are set.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your prices look good to me. I charge $15-45 for an 8x10 depending on the amount of post and extras wanted.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How much does the required editing come into play?

Basically we're including color correction, sharpening, sizing, cropping, retouching minor blemishes and distractions (like horse poop)....but if they want like, a fence removed or an ear switched out or something, that will cost a bit more.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends. I include basic color correction (proper exposures should minimize this), sizing and sharpening in the base price. Also obvious distractions within reason. (lint on backdrop, stray hair on shirt, that sort of stuff). More indepth work like wrinkle removal, blemish removal, tummy tucks, are extra, as is digital background work, over lays and special effects (think adding sparks under the feet of a running kid).

Latest Discussions