Rashguard advice

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train BJJ and am thinking of getting a rashguard.

Im used to the old school karate way where its bare chested with gi thats it, no leggings or shirt or anything, but at my new club everyone has rashguards or shirts, and the head instructors have asked that everyone wear a shirt under their gi top.

Ive been wearing just plain cotton tshirts, nice and tight, and they seem to work well enough.

So, why would I get a rash guard? I roll at least 3x a week and have never got, or seen, anyone get a rash or infection. I assume as the years wear on this will change, but still, should I bother? They seem expensive. What are the pros and cons of having a rashguard over just wearing a t-shirt and boxer shorts under my gi?

Also, reckon I should get just a rashguard shirt or the full set with leggings too? And why?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey you will be fine with a t-shirt but....... the rashguards are more comfortable. If you look around you can find some more inexpensive ones or just go to Wal-Mart and pick up a wicking t-shirt for $7 to $10 that will
do just as well. Personally I like Pirahna gear but that is just me.
icon6.gif

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I personally don't like rashguards. I wear tight, cotton t-shirts. For some reason, the rash guards hold on to odors.

If you're wearing a t-shirt, just make sure it's not too loose. That's all I'd worry about. Maybe pick up a club rashguard for competitions.

OP
BloodMoney

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
nice, thanks for the responses guys

So apart from comfort is there any advantage to wearing one?

Sounds like im on track with a tight cotton t-shirt. Its comfortable and easy to move in, and I dont get too hot. Apart from rashguard tops looking cool lol I dont see the point. Ive had a few guys say "you have to get one there a must" but then when I ask why cant give a solid answer.

If I was to get one would Piranha be the way?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The advantage is that microfiber wicks sweat away from your body, and permits it to evaporate. Cotton doesn't wick moisture away. It stays wet and clammy, and unlike the microfibers, cotton as a material becomes more abrasive when wet.

If the cotton has been working well for you so far, it may be fine for you when you are grappling. Be on the lookout for irritated patches of skin.

Where cotton really gets dangerous is up here in cold weather climates. A saying in the hiking community is "cotton kills". A clammy cotton t-shirt holds that moisture against your body and zaps body heat away from you, which can lead to hypothermia in colder conditions. In any season, a cotton shirt can lead to rashes and pack sores due to the abrasiveness of wet cotton.

Neither of these scenarios will be situations you will encounter as a grappler, though. :asian:

OP
BloodMoney

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
The advantage is that microfiber wicks sweat away from your body, and permits it to evaporate. Cotton doesn't wick moisture away. It stays wet and clammy, and unlike the microfibers, cotton as a material becomes more abrasive when wet.
-
A clammy cotton t-shirt holds that moisture against your body and zaps body heat away from you, which can lead to hypothermia in colder conditions. In any season, a cotton shirt can lead to rashes and pack sores due to the abrasiveness of wet cotton.

Nice, great answer. Yes ive noticed that my shirt sticks to me to a ridiculous degree after training, strange as Ive never been one to sweat much for some reason (maybe its the genes from a hotter climate) especially not compared to other guys.

In winter jeeezus it gets cold in the garage we train in and often theres a visible thick mist (im not exaggerating) in there, with condensation literally raining off the walls and roof! Ive found that I get real cold real quick after, and need to remove my shirt and towel off thoroughly and change into a new shirt before going outside, otherwise I am chilled to the bone, so your words ring true.

Someone else told me that microfibre breathes more so you dont get as hot as well, compared to a soggy tshirt, would you agree?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
nice, thanks for the responses guys

So apart from comfort is there any advantage to wearing one?

Sounds like im on track with a tight cotton t-shirt. Its comfortable and easy to move in, and I dont get too hot. Apart from rashguard tops looking cool lol I dont see the point. Ive had a few guys say "you have to get one there a must" but then when I ask why cant give a solid answer.

If I was to get one would Piranha be the way?
It's really a matter of preference.

If you're going to get one, the only thing I'd suggest is to get one that's made for grappling as opposed to trying to get one that's made for water sports like surfing. You can find some wicked cool rash guards for surfing and such, but those are heavier and will actually make you hotter. I have an o'niell rashguard that I wore once... :)

I like hitting Target and get as many of the $9 super hero shirts as I can find. That's what I like to wear under my gi. My favorite is Thor. :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice, great answer. Yes ive noticed that my shirt sticks to me to a ridiculous degree after training, strange as Ive never been one to sweat much for some reason (maybe its the genes from a hotter climate) especially not compared to other guys.

In winter jeeezus it gets cold in the garage we train in and often theres a visible thick mist (im not exaggerating) in there, with condensation literally raining off the walls and roof! Ive found that I get real cold real quick after, and need to remove my shirt and towel off thoroughly and change into a new shirt before going outside, otherwise I am chilled to the bone, so your words ring true.

Someone else told me that microfibre breathes more so you dont get as hot as well, compared to a soggy tshirt, would you agree?

Absolutely! It behaves more like your own skin. I've noticed that on hot days I don't feel as sweaty (especially from the pack) when I wear a microfiber shirt as opposed to when I wear a T shirt. Of course, my avatar is me on top of a mountain....in a T shirt....so go figure. :lol:

OP
BloodMoney

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
lol thanks guys

Checked out an Under Armour one from a local sports shop...$120 bucks!

So just went online and ordered one made from exactly the same stuff with exactly the same properties for 40 bucks! What a pity it doesnt say Under Armour on it ;)

Got to training and my head instructor takes off his gi top to reveal the exact one I just bought. I asked "reckon these are as good as the Under Armour ones?" and he was like "yup they are exactly the same...apart from the dont say Under Armour or Nike on them"

Ill be ordering these Emfraa ones from now on, thanks for the advice guys

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Piranha are good, Hunter are also thicker than the standard.
I find them more confortable and they do prevent rashes.

Roark

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you live near an outlet mall? The sports stores in the outlet malls usually have excellent discounts on rash guards.

OP
BloodMoney

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I tracked down some very expensive ones, read into the materials that were in them...and just got cheap ones off ebay that are EXACTLY the same (apart from they dont say Nike on them). They are made in China (but then again so are the Nike ones lol) and ship from there or Korea, and are ridiculously cheap. My instructor wears them, ive been using mine for ages now, every lesson 3+ times a week plus using it for running etc and its awesome.

So, my advice is screw the flash name brands, go Emfraa, and go ebay.

Here they are, go check them out you wont be disappointed. Dunno about in the States but over here this is the best damn deal your gunna get.

Greg Anthony

White Belt
Reaction score
Good info for some cheap ones.

I am always buying the expensive ones from Atama and it adds up.

To the OP...Most BJJ tournaments don't allow rashguards under the gi but I am assuming you are talking no-gi anyway and for training purposes.

OP
BloodMoney

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is little (if any) difference between expensive ones and cheap ones. In the case of Emfraa, they are literally exactly the same as the Under Armour ones I looked at for 10x the price, except they dont say Under Armour on them. Materials are exactly the same.

And yeah, this is for wearing under my gi for training, and also when I'm doing cardio. We go bare chested under our gi's for competition, and I dont do no gi grappling.

Latest Discussions