RAM Problem.....Maybe

M

MikeMartial

Soooo.....long story short:

I've identified a possible problem with my RAM....I have 3 sticks of 512. I ran Memtest 3.1 last night and it came up with two errors.

This morning, I'm running a test on each stick, in each DIMM slot. So far, I've had no errors back. At all. I'm running each test until at least 250%, for about 20 minutes or so.

Assuming I get through all the tests fine, where do I go from there? There's obviously a problem, somewhere, with the way the computer is reading or writing memory. Especially when trying to install software; CRC/1335/1334 error from stuff I had previously installed with no problems.

Any direction/suggestions would be great!
-Mike-

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Take the sticks to a place with a hardware memory tester. I've had false positives and false negatives when I run the software diags on a PC.

Also, do a in-depth virus/spyware check, and make sure your OS is upto date. I've seen issues that look like bad ram caused by spyware.

OP
M

MikeMartial

Thanks for the reply, Kaith.

I've checked for spyware/adware/viruses multiple times, and run ZoneAlarm, Ad-Aware SE and Norton faithfully. I also did a check with AVG, and did an online scan with Panda.

I have WinXp installed just fresh a few days ago....did a total format of my HD, and installed all the Windows updates.

Also bought a new CD-ROM/RW. Y'know, just in case. :)

Called the shop where I bought my computer from, and they don't have a hardware RAM tester per se, but will plug the sticks into a computer and use a software program to test. For 40 beans. I may have to go that route, just to be sure.

I may also pick up a new power supply. I'm running a 300w right now, which SHOULD be fine, but who knows. I suppose a new 450 wouldn't hurt :ultracool How often does a faulty/weak power supply cause errors?

All my test have come back neg, so I'm going to pop two sticks in, and see how that goes.
--------------------------------------------
Vitals:
AMD Athalon 2700+
1.5 GB RAM
ATI Raedon 9700pro
SB Audigy 2
300w power supply
80 GB HD
Cooler Master CPU fan

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
NP. :)

I'd save the $40 since you can run the test yourself for free.

What's the make on the MB?

Power fluctuations may cause temporary issues, but I can't say I've run into anything verifiable myself. I'm running a 450W from MadDog myself though, just to be safe.

OP
M

MikeMartial

Oddly enough.....problem seems to be fixed.

When I popped two sticks in, I just happened to check My Computer Properties, and it was only listing 512k......weird. I did some switching around, and then it was properly showing 1 GB. THEN, I added the 3rd stick, did a full memtest, and voila, everything is working. I have no idea why :idunno:

I'm running a Gigabyte MB, btw.

I'm sure the RAM was properly seated; for all I know it could have been dust between the contacts. At any rate, the 'ol comp is back in top shape!

--That doesn't rule me out from just splurging on a new power supply, just for peace of mind, hehe.

Thanks for the replies, Kaith. I was sure if anyone would actually check this thread out, on a martial arts forum and all :)

Latest Discussions