Question on ettiquite(sp)

T

topjet2

This last week I went out of town Christmas shopping. I was looking for a martial arts supply store. I saw a TKD dojo and decided to stop and ask for info. Here is my dilemna when the instructor came out of his office I immediatly had the urge to bow. Is this a common courtesy to out of your own dojo instructors? Or just dont worry about it?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a common and reasonable courtesy, but I would have resisted it and simply addressed him as 'Sir'.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends ;)

Not much of a answer, but it's the truth. Some instructors might see it as a positive, some might think your weird, some might go "Oh by, here comes another nut"

I'd go with the "Hi, I'm Andrew" approach personally, and look at you funny if you came to one of my classes and bowed... but then bowing is never a part of my classes.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I lived in So. Cal. near Little Saigon, I ALWAYS got the cold shoulder unless I bowed my head a teensy bit. The faces of the shop owners would always go from stern to a bright smile. A slight inclination of the head might be indicated for a traditionalist. But then again - this instructor would have no way of knowing you were a student of anyone if you did not bow.

I suppose it's an individual call - and you'll get individual results as well.

Suit yourself (and your instructor's tradition), say I.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
topjet2 said:
This last week I went out of town Christmas shopping. I was looking for a martial arts supply store. I saw a TKD dojo and decided to stop and ask for info. Here is my dilemna when the instructor came out of his office I immediatly had the urge to bow. Is this a common courtesy to out of your own dojo instructors? Or just dont worry about it?

Not sure about Korean customs. When I visit other Japanese sensei, I always bow and introduce myself, then state my intentions.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Better to be safe than sorry.

Pay the proper respect, even if it's not expected.:asian:

Frank

...and chances are they will probably understand it either way...

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
If you aren't a direct student and you aren't in Korea or Japan, don't bow, just be very polite.

However, if the dojo/dojang has a kamidana, bow to that. If it's a school that teaches iai/kenjutsu (or other related JSA) as well as the prescribed martial art, you may find a sword rack underneath.

kamidana.jpg

Hope this helps.