Question about Parker's clock method

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
When using the clock method to describe a particular direction you step or turn to in a technique or form, does the clock stay put or does it turn with you when you move?

For instance, say you step to 10:30 and then turn around. If you stepped forward from there, would you be stepping to 4:30 because that is the oppposite of 10:30 or are you now stepping towards 12:00 because that is the direction you are now facing?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When using the clock method to describe a particular direction you step or turn to in a technique or form, does the clock stay put or does it turn with you when you move?

For instance, say you step to 10:30 and then turn around. If you stepped forward from there, would you be stepping to 4:30 because that is the oppposite of 10:30 or are you now stepping towards 12:00 because that is the direction you are now facing?

I beleive it would be 4:30 I beleive it is the opposite.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
The clock doesn't move. It's whole purpose is a non-movable frame of reference for the floor position. So the original 12:00 would always be the same once the form, technique, or exercise has started.

Once finished or if restarting, though, you can make the 12:00 face any direction you/the instructor wishes. This can be a great learning experience.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

The reference points of the clock "stay put." They are established at the beginning of whatever it is you're doing.

OP
fnorfurfoot

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's what I thought. But then I started looking at it the other way and that started making sense too.

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am sorry, I do not mean any malice, and have respect for all, but as a 5th dan in kenpo, you should already know these things.

OP
fnorfurfoot

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sorry, I do not mean any malice, and have respect for all, but as a 5th dan in kenpo, you should already know these things.
My rank is not with EPAK. My original instructor's rank came from the Villari side of Kempo. My instructor borrowed some techniques from the American Kenpo, but never used the clock when teaching. Everything was just "step left" or "forward and to the left." Now, as I am writing my techniques out for my students, I was thinking that using the clock would be more helpful than the way I used to do it. Especially when writing out forms. My old way would have angles and degrees but if you messed up the turn, there was no way for you to know if you were facing the right way or not.

Sorry if I let you down for not knowing this, but it was never taught to me.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry if I let you down for not knowing this, but it was never taught to me.
You didn't let anyone down. As Seneca says, A man, as long as he teaches, learns. Funny how much we *know* until we start to write it out and/or teach it. Then the easiest and simplest of things become question marks. :) And it takes a strong person to say, I don't know. But I'll find out!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once finished or if restarting, though, you can make the 12:00 face any direction you/the instructor wishes. This can be a great learning experience.
Oh yeah, that is a blast. Some of the people who normally look really sharp, nice crisp movement, gi-a-poppin' face the wall and freeze... I love it.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that is a blast. Some of the people who normally look really sharp, nice crisp movement, gi-a-poppin' face the wall and freeze... I love it.
Facing a corner to start is even better :wavey:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Facing a corner to start is even better :wavey:
Or how about this one: With a group, line up in a square, then everyone turn to face inward, and begin! Or, for a truly side-splitting experience, line them up in a circle instead. :D

Reactions: Ray

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Or how about this one: With a group, line up in a square, then everyone turn to face inward, and begin! Or, for a truly side-splitting experience, line them up in a circle instead.
Devious, simply devious.

hapkenkido

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i was taught that 12 was a fixed place and never moved. i love to have my students do their forms at different directions, 2 people back to back and to really mess with them mirror each other.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind that positions on the clock are all considered "relative" even when the positions are "fixed." That is, the clock does move, but only relative to the action described within the "Clock Concept." Confusion is generated by students who presume the clock is "totally" fixed over "Relative Fixed Positions."

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind that positions on the clock are all considered "relative" even when the positions are "fixed." That is, the clock does move, but only relative to the action described within the "Clock Concept." Confusion is generated by students who presume the clock is "totally" fixed over "Relative Fixed Positions."

Clear as mud.

Latest Discussions