Pyung Ahn Ee Dan - Videos

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to Pyung Ahn Ee Dan Hyung. I would like to discuss applications of this form, its origins, and its other varients. Take a look at the video and lets pick it apart.

upnorthkyosa

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is the double knifehand sequence in Pyung Ahn Ee Dan. Many students have trouble interpreting what this move is actually doing. What do you think this move is?

Attachments

• $Double Knifehand Sequence in Pyung Ahn Ee Dan.AVI
    293.7 KB · Views: 196
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is one possible Ill Soo Shik (one step). What do you think?

Attachments

• $Double Knifehand Sequence in Pyung Ahn Ee Dan Ill Soo Shik.AVI
    310.3 KB · Views: 156

jdwindsurfer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
These videos all turned out quite well and will be extremely useful for me as I work on Hyung and Il Soo Shik. I'm hoping to see the next Hyung(s) up here too...

I'm seeing some interesting stuff in the transitions that I haven't been noticing when we go over these in class, but that I can really analyze by watching over and over again.

I had a thought today: would you like these burned onto a DVD with menus at some point? Are these clips compressed / resized for upload, or is this how they come off of the camera? If you have larger originals, I could use them for a better final product, but otherwise these will work. Once you reach some critical mass with clips, it is really easy to organize these on a DVD with menus and playable on most newer DVD players - with Mac iMovie and iDVD...

Thanks,
Jason

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
jdwindsurfer said:
These videos all turned out quite well and will be extremely useful for me as I work on Hyung and Il Soo Shik. I'm hoping to see the next Hyung(s) up here too...

The cool thing is that this is just the tip of the iceberg. We've only worked through the Pyung Ahn Hyungs thus far. At red belt, every single one of the hyungs are as profound as the entire Pyung Ahn series!

I'm seeing some interesting stuff in the transitions that I haven't been noticing when we go over these in class, but that I can really analyze by watching over and over again.

Thoughts? This is the place to share them. I really need to get Jeremiah (novitiate) hooked in here. He'd really benefit from this analysis.

I had a thought today: would you like these burned onto a DVD with menus at some point? Are these clips compressed / resized for upload, or is this how they come off of the camera? If you have larger originals, I could use them for a better final product, but otherwise these will work. Once you reach some critical mass with clips, it is really easy to organize these on a DVD with menus and playable on most newer DVD players - with Mac iMovie and iDVD...

That may be a project that happens down the line. All of the vids we're shooting now are right off the camera. I think we'd want to up the quality and reshoot for that.

First things first...website. ;)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You must have an excellent teacher. I am getting so much from these threads!

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
This is one possible Ill Soo Shik (one step). What do you think?

I get it. The first knife hand is the block/dodge, the second is the strike, the third is the throw. I never thought of it that way.

Ian

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is way :-offtopic , but what is the difference between a reply and a Quick reply?

Ian

:eek:verkill:

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMP said:
I get it. The first knife hand is the block/dodge, the second is the strike, the third is the throw. I never thought of it that way.

Ian

The part of this sequence that really indicates the throw isn't necessarily the hand movements. It is the turn. Every turn in a hyung engages the hips so that when you couple the hand movements to it, it becomes a throw.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMP said:
This is way :-offtopic , but what is the difference between a reply and a Quick reply?

Ian

:eek:verkill:

If you just want to type a quick message without going to the screen that gives you all of the posting features, the quick message feature is the tool to do that job. People who have slower internet connections find this feature useful.

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
If you just want to type a quick message without going to the screen that gives you all of the posting features, the quick message feature is the tool to do that job. People who have slower internet connections find this feature useful.

Wow. That's perfect for my dial-up.

Ian

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
The part of this sequence that really indicates the throw isn't necessarily the hand movements. It is the turn. Every turn in a hyung engages the hips so that when you couple the hand movements to it, it becomes a throw.

Without the hips, you could only push. Without the hands, you can't do anything. They need to work together to throw someone. Otherwise, you don't have much power.

Ian

CohnWorks

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so this is my first post, but judging from the fact that the last post here was from 2006 I'm not sure if anyone will even read this, but I don't understand the application posted on this form translates to the 3 knife hand blocks, let alone most versions of this form that I've seen, which uses 4 knife hand blocks.

In my version of Ee Dan, there are 2 sets of knife hand blocks or 3 depending upon how you look at them.
The first is after a sidekick, wherein you kick one direction and turn and knife hand block in the other and then execute 2 more knife hand blocks in a straight line. After this there is a spearhand followed by(depending on the version of the form) a 225º turning knife hand, another knife hand moving forward, then a 90º turning knife hand back in the other direction and then another knife hand moving forward.

I was originally never taught any applications for this pattern, but then later went back and come up with an application that works and doesn't deviate much from how I was taught, which I would argue that the application shown on this sight deviates quite a bit not only from how I was taught(seeing as how there is a knife hand block missing), but even from the version that you guys do.

My application as follows:
Take the 4 knife hand blocks out of the form and separate them into 2 sets of 2, furthermore there is no turning involved.
The first knife hand block is a block as normal connecting on the inside of your opponent's arm. Thus you are in what I call an open stance(chests facing the same direction)
The second knife hand is in fact a hair grab using the previously blocking arm to grab at the hair on the back of the head, pulling in one direction as you move forward and strike with a palm thrust to the face.
The pull and strike combined assist in causing your opponent's neck to turn in a clockwise or counter-clockwise motion designed to snap your opponent's neck.

Clearly not a technique that I would see most people employing in a self defense situation, but it's cool nonetheless and it works and requires less deviation than the one found here.

Latest Discussions