Pyong-Ahn etc.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of the forms originally taught at the Chung Do Kwan, and can recommend books/vids for learning them?

I'm aware the Pyong-Ahn forms were taught, would the thing to do be to look at the pinan/heian forms in karate materials? Any others? I know the jidokwan taught some very good forms, I am interested in this information also.

Thanks.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm aware the Pyong-Ahn forms were taught, would the thing to do be to look at the pinan/heian forms in karate materials? Any others? I know the jidokwan taught some very good forms, I am interested in this information also.Thanks.
Hi,

When trained in did Ji Do Kwan some time ago, we did five Pyung Ahn forms. They clearly derive from Shotokan's five Heian kata, and are very similar to those forms.

I'm not aware of any clips of the JDK versions of these forms on the web, but you can probably find the Shotokan versions.

HTH...

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here is a link to our set from WMTKD. They will be really close, if not dead on, from how we did them as far back as the 70's.

http://wmtkd.us/kalamazoo/#GUS-4

Those diagrams are from our local city's school. Other sister schools from the same org have their own documenation, with pictures and such. For example, here...

http://wmtkd.us/bob_allen/index.xml#GUS-5

Our whole org is still pretty close to CDK with some TSD influence and whatever techniques from any art that impressed our GM as effective.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There's a video sold by the US Chung Do Kwan Association which I understand has Brenda Sell demonstrating the forms. I imagine this is a high quality resource although I have not seen it myself.

This is a fine book that I own a copy of: http://www.amazon.com/Tae-Kwon-Clas...4311061?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188530517&sr=1-2
I like the drawings very much and although not a Chung Do Kwan guy myself, I think the forms are faithful to how CDK people perform them.

OP
F

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is useful stuff guys thanks.

Aplonis, if I put that with videos of karateka practicing heian I'm pretty sure I can work with that. Thanks!

Stoneheart, I'll be buying that book.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chung Do Kwan and Ji Do Kwan were primarily instructing the karate forms, such as Pyung Ahn, Bassai Tae, Chulki 1-3, etc. Most of the kwans were doing this - as a historical note. I don't have a specific list for each of those kwans.

To track down more detail on Ji Do Kwan, look to Mabuni Kenwa's lineage. Yoon Kwe-byung (early Ji Do Kwan instructor) learned from both Mabuni and Toyama Kanken. Yoon even taught bong sul hyung (Staff forms) at the Ji Do Kwan.

Lee Won-kuk (Chung Do Kwan founder) learned karate from Gichin Funakoshi in Japan. So this lineage will have forms found in a typical Shotokan dojo.

R. McLain

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just a thought, but Tang Soo Do still teaches the Pyung Ahn forms, as well as Bassai, Chul ki 1-3 (though they call it Nihanchi(n) ) so maybe take a look at Tang Soo Do's forms? Like I said, just a though.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So it seems. Obviously I havent done them, but to my knowledge yes. Possibly the first two in a different order though.

The difference is, in any of the `official' TKDs (so far as I know), the Pyung-Ahns aren't elements of the standard curriculum at all, so any instructors who teach them do so as part of their own personal vision of what the curriculum should be like, and conceivably will do them either in the Pinan order or in the Heian (and TSD) order (my own instructor actually teaches the Okinawan Pinans, but we are a bit of a maverick outfit anyway). In TSD, in contrast, they are core curriculum elements.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are the Pyong Ahn forms the same throughout TKD and TSD???

The problem that I have noticed is every single GM seems to teach these form at a very different perspective and they are all different in some way.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of the forms originally taught at the Chung Do Kwan, and can recommend books/vids for learning them?

I'm aware the Pyong-Ahn forms were taught, would the thing to do be to look at the pinan/heian forms in karate materials? Any others? I know the jidokwan taught some very good forms, I am interested in this information also.

Thanks.

Check out GM Duk Song Son's 2 books-Korean Karate and Black Belt Korean Karate. They show how Chung Do Kwan performed the forms.

Miles

Latest Discussions