Push Up Competition Fundraiser

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay...this was a LOT of fun.

I came up with this idea for raising scholarship money for the local YMCA's "Partnership For Youth" scholarship fund. I thought I'd challenge a member of the "Y"s board of directors, physician Rick Weidenbener (who, at 43, is very physically fit), to a push up competiition. The goal was to see if we could get people to do a pledge for each push up, or sponsor one or both of us for a flat amount.

The fund drive each year has always been fruitful, but never a whole lot of fun. To ramp it up, I dramatized the "challenge" by storming into the board meeting with an entourage of muscular martial artists and loudly trash-talking Rick. I entered to Bach's Toccatta and Fugue, in D minor (remember "Phantom of the Opera" with Claude Raines?) and slapped Rick with a little itty bitty glove as a part of the "duel" schtick. He slapped me back after pulling a boxing glove out of a bag.

For the competition we dressed Rick up in a toga with a laurel leaf crown, and he entered in to the theme from "Gladiator." I came in dressed as an executioner (replete with an axe...which is real, by the way) and to the music of Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana."

Rick then proceeded to kick my *** in push-ups. I did 79, he did...and I still can't quite believe this...100. I knew he was in good shape, but Gawd. It looks like next year I'm going to have to actually train for this thing.

We raised over $2,500 for scholarships for kids. A pretty good take for two minutes work...and a lot of fun. I encourage anybody here to try a similar challenge for raising money for a good cause.

The kids from my martial arts program went out and got pledges, and in fifteen minutes from writing this I'm taking the top pledge-getters out to breakfast at a local restaurant.

Pics enclosed.

Regards,

Steve

Attachments

• $05041123.JPG
    $05041123.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 150
  • $05041129.JPG
    $05041129.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 135
  • $05050910.JPG
    $05050910.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 125
  • $05050911.JPG
    $05050911.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 121
  • $05050913.JPG
    $05050913.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 147

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, look at H's hair...!

Those photos are FABULOUS! I love it!

I think I owe you some $$, come to think of it - $7.90, maybe?

:D

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was a great idea for a fund raiser and a wonderful thing to do for the community

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Uh...Feisty...that isn't "hair". Its a cape and cowl.

My hair is flesh colored.

Regards,

Steve
(laughing) - no, I meant Hunter's. He's got the blonde 'fro going on there!

I *love* the costuming and the music. How did the Board take it?

The kids must have loved it.

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
(laughing) - no, I meant Hunter's. He's got the blonde 'fro going on there!

I *love* the costuming and the music. How did the Board take it?

The kids must have loved it.

Oh...HUNTER. Sure. This kid's hair is out of control. He gets it from his mom, Feisty. If you've never seen her, you'll recognize her instantly. Like mother, like son.

The Board responded very well to the competition. They needed something to get them fired up...they're apparently a very serious lot when approaching their administrative duties. This helped kick them into "fun mode."

The kids had a good time. Next year we're getting them to do the push-ups as well. If they're earning pledges for themselves, instead of me, it will mean more to them.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions