Pure or crossbreeds

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Looking to get a puppy soon and have been researching different breeds.
I have owned and trained a couple of dogs before, a male staffodshire bull terrier/blue heeler and a german sheppard/rottwieller *****, so I am not coming in too green, but I am wondering what people think about the merits of pure verses crossbreeds.
I have only ever owned crosses as I was told as a kid that they are less likely to develop hereditary defects but I dont know if this is true or not.

I would also appreciate advice on what breeds you think would be suitable, I want a dog that is an excellent watchdog and guard, good with kids ( I have 2 under 5 years), I have a big fenced yard (300 square meters), moderate climate, there would be constant attention and I would train and socialize the animal with both people and other dogs.

Any suggestions?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To answer some of your questions:

The advantage of "hybrid vigor" is much overstated. To get a true advantage, the dog must have been cross-bred for several generations, at least; otherwise, you are liable to get a dog that is heir to the genetic diseases of both breeds. We had a cocker spaniel/poodle mix when I was a kid, who was a 3rd generation hybrid - and he had epilepsy, a genetic inheritance from the poodle side of his heritage. Being cross-bred is not a panacea, nor does it guarantee a healthy dog.

Are you planning on showing this dog, or will be a pet only? If the former, you need to find a good breeder who can help you choose a show quality pup to raise. A good site for finding breeders is Finding a Responsible Breeder. If the latter, then your best bet is not to focus on a breed, but to visit a local shelter, first alone, and describe the pet you are interested in. Then look at older dogs - at least 1 year old, not a puppy - because you already know the dog's temperament and adult size. Once you have chosen several dogs of interest and have placed a hold on them (most shelters have this system in place) then you can bring you kids and see how the dog reacts to them, and how they react to the dog. Some sites that will help you are Dog Owner's Guide Site Index, Welcome to Dogwise.com, your local shelters' sites (try google), and the above site about breeders. Good general information about dog breeds is available at American Kennel Club - just remember that those are guidelines, not absolutes, and that a badly bred dog that looks right may not have the temperament qualities you're looking for.

A few pieces of advice: do not buy a dog at a pet store. These dogs are often overbred at puppy mills, in ill health, and more likely to have genetic problems. Do consider adopting a dog at a pet store that has an adoption fair, but be sure that you have the right dog, and not the dog that appeals to you at the moment. You are better off going to a shelter or a shelter's adoption events than getting a dog randomly out of the paper, because shelter dogs are screened for illnesses and temperament. If you want a purebred dog, but not a show dog, contact a reputable breeder and
ask about pet-quality puppies; not all dogs meet the physical standards for show but still have the temperament qualities that you are looking for - and you'll know exactly what you're getting. Also, should you ever need to relinquish the dog, a reputable breeder will always take the dog back. If you don't want a show dog, please get your dog spayed or neutered as soon as is physically possible - there are far too many unwanted dogs.

Some dog breeds that might suit your needs are: Staffordshire Terriers (but do make sure that they come from a breeder - more than most breeds, these dogs are often bred by people who don't know what they're doing), nearly anything in the retriever group, but especially Labs and Goldens, or several of the working breeds, especially Border Collies (although they're somewhat smaller).

Kudos to you for looking for information before grabbing a dog at random - too many people do that, and find out later that they got the wrong dog.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love mutts! Tucker is what we call a "Heinz 57" variety of dog. He's a little bit of everything. I've found, and this could just be me, that a mutts temperment is better than a pure breed, they're easier to train and are less likely to suffer from genetic diseases than pure breeds.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've had both purebred and mixed, and have had better luck with the mixes. The purebreds I have had all had "problems" either health or temperment wise, a couple had a combination of both types of problems. Out of the mixes I've owned over the years the only health problem was one contracted Parvo when it wasn't a common problem and the vaccinations were not something even the vets in the area were promoting. Had 1 mix with a disposition problem, but I got him as a 7 year-old with a sketchy background so I probably inherited a problem child. My Belgium Shepard/Husky mix was fantastic with kids and I would get another in a minute. The Great Dane/Wolfhound - not so good, just too big and clumsy and would knock them all over the place. Have had friends with Newfoundlands and they were great with kids, if the kids are not put off by their size.

Just my 2 cents, good luck finding one that fits YOUR family and kids best. Look at as many as you can and make a discision based on your research as well as your kids reaction to each animal.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I've never had a dog that weighed less than 140 lbs, so I probably couldn't advise you too well. The ones I've had have been fantastic with kids, protective of family and home, and socialized very well. I've had a St. Bernard, a Rottweiler, and a Mastiff.

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice,
The dog is for a pet only so I am not interested in formal conformation of the animal and yes the dog will be desexed, like it was said there are way too many unwanted dogs around.
Unfortunately I have looked at local pounds and dog refuges but all the animals seem to have kelpie crosses through them. I dont know if you know anything about kelpies but they are a working/herding dog that needs to run ALL day, not what you want in a suburban backyard. That and the fact that I want a puppy not a dog that could have history.
The breeds that I am looking at include doberman, rhodesian ridgeback, akita or shar pei, although the wife really doesn't like the look of the shar pei, I think their good looking.
We have a large male black lab cross at the moment who is going on 9 and he is just beautiful but a guard dog he is not, a friend has a newfoundland cross and although he is a good dog he is not the breed for me, and the staffies these days go out of their way to get a pat, again not a good choice of a family protector.
The reason that I am looking for a guard dog is recently my sheppard/rottie cross female was diagnosed with inoperable cancer and had to be put down, took her to the vet thinking she had a belly ache and never bought her home, she was only 6, tough day that.
We have always had one friendly, family dog and one guard, who was also great with friends and family too but she knew her job was also protector, especially when the sun went down.
When the lab goes we will revert back to a one dog family as our human litter has now grown, before we had the kids the dogs were our children.
Not in any hurry though so I will keep looking and my dog will show up eventually.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where I live, I would go back to a Husky mix anyday mainly because the ones I have been around still have the "pack" mentality, and for mine, anyone who lived in "her" house was her pack. Till the day I had to take her to the vet to be put down (cancer at age 13) she had a bark and growl that made the hair on MY neck stand up. She wasn't timid about warning the family whenever ther was something that shouldn't be by her family. For being 65 pounds, I've watched her place herself between family members and Moose (1000 - 1300 pounds), Bear, Coyote, people, and anything else she thought was a threat to her pack. Where you are according to your profile (Southwest Oz) probably wouldn't work great for that breed though because of the heat. Keep the faith and a match for your family will come around. Keep in mind the pack mentality though, it makes for a very loyal animal if you get them as a puppy and your family becomes their "pack".

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love my rescued dalmation/pitbull/something unidentifiable mix. Going purebread may have advantages, but it could result in an inbred drooler with health problems, and thats not a fun pet.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
stone_dragone said:
IGoing purebread may have advantages, but it could result in an inbred drooler with health problems,

This sounds like some of my neighbors. LOL OOOOOOhhhh we are still talking about dogs here, sorry!

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
When trained properly even a lab can be a great watch/guard dog. It all comes down to how the puppy is brought up. I have a pure breed yellow lab and she is a very gentle family dog. But If anyone enters the yard or house (unannounced), she will bark like a shepard unitl we command her to stop. We have friends with shepards, rotties and pitbulls. She will not back down from any of them.

Pitbulls have gotten a very bad rep over the years, but they are the most gentle and protective dowgs when trained correctly and cared for properly.

THough I enjoy my pure breed, frinds have opened my eyes to soem of the negative aspects and the fact there are plenty of dogs tro be rescued.

I wish you luck. And remember you are not just looking for a pet, but you are looking for an addition to the family.

I wish you luck. Please post a picture once you find a dog.

Latest Discussions