White Belt
Reaction score
hi i was just wondering if there some kind of equipment that would measure

the strength of my punches

please if u know of any that are actually affordable that would be great

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem with most of these devices is they measure external force only and not shock...like ballistic gelatin measures for bullets. So what APPEARS to be a very strong blow (as measured by one of these gadgets) may, in fact, not be very damaging as compared to a blow that doesn't necessarily register as generating much outer force but can cause terrible internal damage-

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
So what APPEARS to be a very strong blow (as measured by one of these gadgets) may, in fact, not be very damaging as compared to a blow that doesn't necessarily register as generating much outer force but can cause terrible internal damage-

And theres the rub. I'm sure that someone out there (probably in China) has come up with the same problem, and is working on a way to measure the internal damage. Until then, I geuss your S.O.L.

However, there is a very easy and (relitivly) cheap way to test your power. If you have a heavy bag, go out and buy a board holder, put in a single pine board (pondarosa is my favorite), and try to break it. If you do, put in two. If you break that, go for three. Three pine boards is about equal to human ribs when all is said and done, so it can be a good test.

Just keep in mind, breaking boards (or whacking a force gage) is NOT like a real fight. Just becuase you can generate 1,600 PSI on a force gage doesn't mean you'll be able to pull off nearly that same amount in a fight. Against something meant to measure force you'll probably be useing perfect technique, and in a real fight you wont be able. So, go for it, just don't think that is a perfect measure.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
School I trained at in Cleveland, the head instructor had acquired a pad, basically just a standard, hand held pad, that would register psi of blows. Don't know where he got it or who made it, but they are out there. Can't testify as to how well it worked either. (I know that there were times that I hit it hard with a penetrating blow and it did not register as high as when I hit it less had with a snapping blow.)

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The problem with most of these devices is they measure external force only and not shock...like ballistic gelatin measures for bullets. So what APPEARS to be a very strong blow (as measured by one of these gadgets) may, in fact, not be very damaging as compared to a blow that doesn't necessarily register as generating much outer force but can cause terrible internal damage-

This statement is technically incorrent.
When considering impact analysis the force of a strike is determined as the Momentum of the stike divided by the time over which the strike occurs.

This is why cars have crumple zones - as these zones crush they increase the time of the impact and thus decrease the force of the impact.
So a punch-force measurement will be the actual force impacted to the recipient.

These concepts can be a little tricky to get your head around....but it all comes down to the time your punch takes to impart it's energy into the target. The faster you can do this the greater the force of your punch.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This statement is technically incorrent.
When considering impact analysis the force of a strike is determined as the Momentum of the stike divided by the time over which the strike occurs.

These concepts can be a little tricky to get your head around....but it all comes down to the time your punch takes to impart it's energy into the target. The faster you can do this the greater the force of your punch.

If anyone is interested in a look at these ideas using the equations, it is referred to as the impulse of a force. The following link explains it:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/impulse.html

OP
M

MattM

White Belt
Reaction score
i have a punching bag, a punching body and a speed ball

but the reason i wanted a tool to measure punch strength is that ive heard

you punch harder if your not tensed up

so i wanted to practice throwing different kinds of punches to see whats the strongest for me

:/

ill figure something out i guess

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is exactly what you need:

31w%2BOcb04rL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NW6842?ie=UTF8&tag=kunfubooonl-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000NW6842

opliko

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what that amazon item is? The link is broken and I was interested in something like that.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yep, it's called "the other guy's jaw" works great!

hi i was just wondering if there some kind of equipment that would measure

the strength of my punches

please if u know of any that are actually affordable that would be great

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yep, it's called "the other guy's jaw" works great!

I absolutely agree. Or, more practically, an experienced instructor with a couple of focus mitts or a kicking shield. A good instructor/coach/trainer can tell you so much more than any gizmo!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pick up some sheets of styrofoam or acoustical tile and punch them. You'll be able to see for yourself how you are punching and how deep you can go. You can even keep a "record" of your punches (save a sheet you punched and try the same experiment 3-6 months later to see how you are improving.)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
So it won't measure my Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique?