Psychologist seeks research

CaffeineKing

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a psychologist (academic) based in Leeds (United Kingdom). I've dabbled in martial arts myself when a little younger (very basic Aikido) but my hearing isn't great and I now wear hearing aids - which hampers my sporting activity a bit... I've maintained my interest in martial arts though, but these days I'm interested in chronic conditions (e.g. arthritis, depression etc.) and why some people cope and some don't. More importantly, can we take people who don't cope, train them in a different way of thinking, and help them cope??

I thought I'd join you all, perhaps join a few discussions, and maybe even get a little research off the ground. I think martial arts *may* be a great way to help others. Besides, with many arts formally grading, there's a sense of progression that might let itself to scientific measurement. Who knows, I may even get back into martial arts again. I'm just about to turn 35, and while I'm not overweight, I'm badly out of shape!!

Anyhow, that's for the future. For now, I'd like to say hello and wish everyone all the best with whatever they're doing.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Sounds quite interesting - please do post any results you come up with, if any.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, you are just down the A1 from me! I'm up in Catterick. do please give me a shout if we can help, I know a fair few MMA/BJJ people around your way if that helps?
You are very welcome to come and visit! We do TSD as well as MMA.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, CK.

It's an interesting line of research you're pondering there. I know I for one could give some data on the benefits of the practise of martial arts to general well-being and I'm sure some of us, from many age-brackets, have practical experience that could be of help.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a psychologist (academic) based in Leeds (United Kingdom). I've dabbled in martial arts myself when a little younger (very basic Aikido) but my hearing isn't great and I now wear hearing aids - which hampers my sporting activity a bit... I've maintained my interest in martial arts though, but these days I'm interested in chronic conditions (e.g. arthritis, depression etc.) and why some people cope and some don't. More importantly, can we take people who don't cope, train them in a different way of thinking, and help them cope??

I thought I'd join you all, perhaps join a few discussions, and maybe even get a little research off the ground. I think martial arts *may* be a great way to help others. Besides, with many arts formally grading, there's a sense of progression that might let itself to scientific measurement. Who knows, I may even get back into martial arts again. I'm just about to turn 35, and while I'm not overweight, I'm badly out of shape!!

Anyhow, that's for the future. For now, I'd like to say hello and wish everyone all the best with whatever they're doing.
I wear hearing aids and they haven't hampered my "sporting activity" one iota. Not a one... well... ok, swimming but since I don't do MUCH of that anyway it doesn't matter. How are yours hampering you? What type are they OTE's? ITE's? ITC's? Mine are OTE's but I'd prefer one of the latter two instead. There are a few others with hearing impairments on this forum so don't feel left out or alone.

Anyway welcome to MT, happy posting and looking forward to your psychological assessments of the heavy addictive posters... like Terry for example. :lol: Just to name a few. Me? I can quit any time. Yep. Anytime.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! I look forward to hearing more about your research. :asian:

OP
CaffeineKing

CaffeineKing

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi again, everyone. Thanks for the warm welcome. And thanks for the heads up Tez3. Doesn't sound like you're very far away at all.

MA-Caver, I wear ITE aids myself. They're NHS ones, which to non-UK types is the (free) National Health Service. I didn't pay for them myself - though they are extremely modern and all-round excellent - but it means I'm utterly beholden to them if anything goes wrong. If - let's make that when - they break down, I could be up to two weeks without the broken one. As such, I'm twitchy about putting them at risk. Without them, I can't hear my own voice, let alone anyone else's! I'd be screwed at both work and home. :(

Also, back in day, I was into Aikido. But some of the moves require an arm to hold the opponent's head and I quickly found that I needed to take the hearing aids out fairly often for safety, then put them back in again when we all gather round to learn something. Out, in,out in. I was younger, and I got extremely conscious about them so kind of lost interest a little. Throw in a change of instructor and before I knew it, I'd taken up badminton instead!! Still, I'm older and wiser now - I think, so might yet return. No-one I know would confirm that, I suspect. Except the older part...

Latest Discussions