Protected (or ripped off) by my dentist?

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have only tried two mouthguards so far and they both fit horribly -- even after "molding". My jaws ache after each use because my back molars can't seem to fit in properly and it's an effort to keep the thing in. Also, for some reason (at times) my mouthguard gives me a gag reflex :p:.

Someone I know said they had their dentist fit them with a custom mouthguard. He said it cost maybe $200. That seems like a lot, but if it fits well and stays in it may be worth it.

Has anybody else had experience with custom made mouthpieces? Would you recommend it? Have they done as good a job of protecting your teeth as regular mouthpieces?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Girlbug,

In my 25+ years in MA, I've used both store bought & dentist-made mouthpieces. I can honestly say that I'll never go back to store bought mouthpieces. The fit alone is more than worth the price. A great fit alone will protect you better (cuz you're not playing with it in your mouth). $200.00 seems like a lot, but a new tooth will cost $300 or more.

I wore store bought ones for years. I once caught a kick in the mouth & one of my teeth was permanently moved. I had my dentist make one for me soon after.

My 1st one cost me $150 about 6-7 years ago. My wife just had one made a few months ago for $75 (different dentist in a different state). Her dentist said, "few people get a custom one from me cuz they think a cheap one from Walmart is good enough. I lowered my price by half to encourage folks to get them."

Unfortunatly, it's expensive to buy protection you may never need. But like a good motorcycle helmet, you'd be glad you had it your melon hits the pavement. If the fit is good, it's worth it's weight in Gold. IMO.

Last edited:

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Although I've never tried a custom dentist mouthguard I will say that cutting my mouthguards to prevent the gag reflex got all of my wisdom teeth and molars broken over time. So I will definitely NOT recommend going that way.
It sounds like a worthwhile idea to me to get a custom mouthguard.
$200 is cheaper than then $2400 I had to pay for an implant so I can chew on the left side of my mouth, trust me it's a bargain.

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you both for your posts: it was the kind of wisdom I was looking for.

I will make an appt with my dentist this week if possible. Hopefully they can make these things quickly!

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used a custom/dentist made while wrestling in HS. I agree, they are much better than store bought. As I am starting back in TKD, I think I may get one again.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as you are willing to pay the price a custom mouth piece is great.
icon6.gif

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My dentist is also a IV Dan in TKD - as he keeps pointing out, unlike most other injuries "teeth don't grow back". He custom-molds mouthguards for people who want them (especially those with odd-sized mouths and/or braces) - he's also quite fond of Shock Doctors and recommends them. I don't know which ones you've tried - and certainly, $200 for a mouthguard is a lot cheaper than dentures - but in the interim, you might try a Shock Doctor; they're usually around $15-20 and incredibly better than those $3 ones you get at Wal-Mart.

But you must have a mouthguard that fits and is comfortable; my instructor, years ago, forgot his one night, and fought without it - and in the last 10 second of the last fight (of 13 or 14) got kicked in the jaw, lost the tips of all of his molars, and had to have his teeth rebuilt - and it cost way more than $200, and was a lot more uncomfortable than any mouthguard could ever be.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got a custom mouthguard when I was in high school. My folks paid for it, but I bet it was between 100 and 200 dollars. The fit is awesome, and 10 years later I still wear the same one (although it is starting to wear thin), so the investment is definetly worth it.

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
custom mouth guards are the way to go. If it is uncomfortable tell your dentist. they use a common size mold and customize it from there. Maybe the guard is too long if it is not allowing you to close your mouth. But it just might be that you are not used to wearing it and the first couple of times is a little uncomfortable until you get used to it. I'd say go back to your dentist and tell him the problems you are having and maybe he can adjust it.

Latest Discussions