Pros and Cons of Pictures on Certificates

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of using either digital included pictures or hand print pictures on ranking certificates?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pro: If its the Organisations Standard, then you can prove beyond a doubt that the Name is yours, the Picture is yours, and the Signature is theirs.
Con: ...someone might see your Face?

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as Gup certificates I produce a nice 8x10 certi with graphics pertenant details related to the level person's qulifications to give the rank and thier picture. For decades my GM used small Id cards whith his chop for each level my current are nice framable but we have them laminated first

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow, I had never heard of such a thing, people must really be getting into the whole certificate thing.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh....interesting subject as I'm having an argument with my gym about photographs. They want to add a photo of me to their records, I am refusing.

I don't think biometric data is anyone's business but mine. If I have to give it away, there better be damn good reason. A martial arts org cert is not good reason.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
big difference between a gym and a good traditional do Jo or do Jang, good ID that not only identifies the person but the instructor and organization with the credentials backing that up helps with properly establishing the level a person should be competing at and serves as a resume or reference when transfering to another location however the picture is for thier use and control only for thier personal display or again as it may be required fo id in the future. As for gyms given todays issues with society and vilence if women are present picture id being required for membership is not unusual

OP
I

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Our organization is thinking about using pictures with the certificates, simply as a means of Identification and credential purposes.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Pro: 1) Well the certificate holder would get to see how they age through the years of training. A song by Bruce Springsteen comes to mind Glory Days
2) A large organization could use it for Identification and credential purposes.
3) Possible income revenue stream for the dojo or the organization if a added fee for the picture taking is created for the student.

Cons: 1) You might tick off some students/instructors who don't like having biometric data of them being kept.
2) Added cost for each member dojo in the association to have the same software picture taking abilities etc. etc. to produce and print their certificates at their location.
3) Added hassle for the instructor of the dojo to take the picture, print the certificate, and then present it to the student at a later time.
4) Possible added cost to the student if the organization decides to charge the student for the extra time involved to do the more intensive labor.

If it were a small organization then I don't see the need really. If it were a small gym or a multi school operation I still don't see the need other than for the certificate holder feeling good about I did this, I earned this, etc. etc. A large international organization (I'm thinking like the JKA) OK I could see it. The organization I belong to is small enough that a student going from this school to that school the instructors would call if there was any question of the student's abilities.

joshbrown

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Heh....interesting subject as I'm having an argument with my gym about photographs. They want to add a photo of me to their records, I am refusing.

I don't think biometric data is anyone's business but mine. If I have to give it away, there better be damn good reason. A martial arts org cert is not good reason.

Did you type this while wearing your tinfoil hat?

Latest Discussions