Professor Chow, Always the warrior

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've read on other forums attacks against Prof. Chow by people who never met the man. People calling him a "alcoholic" and such. Which is really odd, since people who knew him much of his life, disagree strongly with that assessment.
Professor Chow all his adult life did what some so called masters only talk about; he trained.
He maintained a proficiency into his 60's and 70's that many martial artists will never achieve in thier life times.

Here's Prof. Chow at age 68:

http://www.kajukenboinfo.com/kaju_professorchow_320.wvx

Here's Prof. Chow at 70:

efd0a846.jpg

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you. I know Mr. Chow had some issues in his latter years, but would never believe that alcoholism was one of them.

Regards,

Dave

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think people truly understand how unreal this man was. LOOK AT THOSE PIPES!!!!!

F

Flopik

This look like the photo I post! nice
This is a founder of the Kenpo , we have to respect this man.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I hope I could be that solid when I'm 70! -- LOL! With that said, Much respect to the Professor! As I said, concerning GM Mitose, it doesn't matter, ultimately, what was done. They are who they are, and their place is set! If I had the chance, I'd have no problem bowing to them.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
at 68?!?! zowie. i've read some interviews that seem to show the man was a few bubbles off plumb, but aren't all the really driven people in any art or society a wee bit nuts? (from our perspective anyway)

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have heard both. Many say Chow struggeld with alcohol later on in life. Doesn't make him not a warrior in any case. Just makes him human and supseptible to problems like the rest of us.

Brian Jones

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well,

If that's what a 68 year-old alchoholic looks and moves like, tell me what brand of booze he drank and I'll start drinking it.

I'd be really interested in seeing some other seniors move in videos at that age for comparison.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yup- That is taken from a picture with GM Kuoha. The stories are legendary!

Thank you Sigung Bishop for posting this- Professor never made a living off his art and died in relative poverty. Even when others were capitalizing on his "name", even some who did not train very long with him.

He deserves our respect in my opinion!

Cheers everyone!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Well,

If that's what a 68 year-old alchoholic looks and moves like, tell me what brand of booze he drank and I'll start drinking it.

I'd be really interested in seeing some other seniors move in videos at that age for comparison.

Lou Angel is about that age, and I pity the fool that would try to mug him.

Mekosho

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My high school history teacher always said "NEVER believe ANYTHING you hear, and only HALF of what you see"!
Makes sense with so many of these stories that go around about many of the past legends, there always seems to be someone standing in the shadows ready to discredit them or capitalize on their short comings...not sure what the reason is for this, but often wonders if it makes thier martial skills better...lol

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would be the first one to agree that one's personal problems may or may not have any effect on your abilites as a martial artist. But remembering that even great martial artists are human can be helpful.
In Prof. Chow's case it cand help us to rmebr that martial arts aren't the cure all for everything and that we must take care of ourselves in all realms of life.

Brian Jones

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Parker was always very candid with me regarding Professor Chow. Where he had some 'social problems" being the warrior that he was, alcohol wasn't one of them that I heard about. And I'm sure because of Mr. Parker's very rigid stance on the issue, I'm sure it would have come up.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great picture! Thanks for posting it. I definitely prefer your posts and thread for historical Kenpo (and associated arts) over most others.

Some people always like to throw stones at individuals who have accomplished more than they ever even dreamed of. Great video as well!

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Mr. Parker was always very candid with me regarding Professor Chow. Where he had some 'social problems" being the warrior that he was, alcohol wasn't one of them that I heard about. And I'm sure because of Mr. Parker's very rigid stance on the issue, I'm sure it would have come up.

I tend to agree with you here. There Are others whom I will not name (though the forum's initials are SJK) who try to say that he was> Pretty talented guy for someone who was supposed to be a drunk.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Back to teh topic of Mr. Chow... did Fred Villari ever study with him? I know Nick Cerio made some trips to Hawaii, did he take Fred V with him?

-D

sandan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
it's easy to say negative things about Prof. Chow now that he is no longer with us, you think anyone would dare say anything derogatory to his face? I sure as hell wouldn't

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
sandan said:
it's easy to say negative things about Prof. Chow now that he is no longer with us, you think anyone would dare say anything derogatory to his face? I sure as hell wouldn't
Same with Ed Parker Sr. They reserved their venom and 'stories' for when he was no longer with us.

Latest Discussions