Prof.Chow and AK

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is generally said that SGM Parker kept only about 10% of the kempo he learned from Prof.Chow. Can anyone share what that 10% is and why he kept it? Also, a longer question of what he discarded and why.

Respectfully,
Marlon

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Keep in mind Prof Chow taught whatever combinations he wanted to at the time, very few if any formal "techniques".

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind Prof Chow taught whatever combinations he wanted to at the time, very few if any formal "techniques".

Based on comments from Mr. Parker, I would suggest that it would be virtually impossible to do any martial art interpretation without at least a percentage of crossover from another interpretation. There will always be commonalities in diverse activities when the goals are the same. You can find a reasonable percentage of commonalities between football, baseball, basketball, and tennis. Ask yourself the question; how much of a percentage does footwork and running play? I know you want specific techniques or stances or something, but that is not what Mr. Parker meant. The greatest thing Mr. Parker took from Chow is the idea of breaking "tradition" and "culture" mandates of other interpretations, and focusing strictly on self-defense. Mr. Parker always gave credit to Mr. Chow.

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Based on comments from Mr. Parker, I would suggest that it would be virtually impossible to do any martial art interpretation without at least a percentage of crossover from another interpretation. There will always be commonalities in diverse activities when the goals are the same. You can find a reasonable percentage of commonalities between football, baseball, basketball, and tennis. Ask yourself the question; how much of a percentage does footwork and running play? I know you want specific techniques or stances or something, but that is not what Mr. Parker meant. The greatest thing Mr. Parker took from Chow is the idea of breaking "tradition" and "culture" mandates of other interpretations, and focusing strictly on self-defense. Mr. Parker always gave credit to Mr. Chow.

actually i was only looking for the truth. Thank you for sharing.

respectfully,
Marlon

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
actually i was only looking for the truth. Thank you for sharing.

respectfully,
Marlon
Cool. :) Thank you, Marlon. I've had this discussion with so many people before, I made the mistake of assuming you had their perspective. My Apologies.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing is for sure is that Professor Chow was simply awesome!
icon14.gif

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Parker did not train long enough to get past the basics anyways so EPAK carries little resemblance to Professor Chow.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Parker did not train long enough to get past the basics anyways so EPAK carries little resemblance to Professor Chow.

If I recall my sources correctly, the Tracy's report that he (Parker) had received his 3rd degree black belt from Chow...which seems long enough to also "get past the basics," but that's just me.

I wasn't there and I haven't had the pleasure of meeting either gentlemen to ask...although I have read the Blackbelt interview with Chow that seems to be the oft' quoted "Parker was just a purple belt..."

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I recall my sources correctly, the Tracy's report that he (Parker) had received his 3rd degree black belt from Chow...which seems long enough to also "get past the basics," but that's just me.

I wasn't there and I haven't had the pleasure of meeting either gentlemen to ask...although I have read the Blackbelt interview with Chow that seems to be the oft' quoted "Parker was just a purple belt..."

Apparently, Mr. Parker was around long enough to achieve at least black belt status under Kwai Sun Chow, which suggests he got beyond the "basics." However, he always gave William Chow the credit for the revolutionary and totally innovative approach he adopted and adapted as his own. The fact he refined that approach to a high level of sophistication, doesn't negate its acknowledged origin.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok, insert long ended rant about prof Chow's "statements" and actions over the years. Lord, he was a great martial artist, but man was he a flawed human being....

That said, you cant compare the two systems and see the differences since today's Kara Ho is NOTHING like what Chow taught to Parker, Emperaldo and the like in the 40's/50's

The Tracy's claim thier Kenpo system is what Ed Parker was teaching before he changed everything. That doesnt quite jive though, because we KNOW that Chow didnt have 720 or so "set" techniques

so, what was the 10%?

I would say it is what some would dismiss as "basics"

movement, angles, flow

what is, in reality the "core" of Kenpo, what sets it apart from the other styles.

IMO, YMMV

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion the 10% quote refers to doing away with the hundreds of variations to the base techniques. Especially, when the variation is just a weapon change. The 10% quote is now just a marketing tool. As in we have 90% more techniques in our system, so it is better. It really doesn't matter anyway. Many Kenpo schools today teach speed and flash over solid basics and powerful technique. It is what it is.

Latest Discussions