Pro Hockey cuts ties with player who bullied developmentally disabled Black kid while in junior high

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
NHL's Coyotes sever ties with top draft pick who admitted to bullying Black classmate with disabilities

Mitchell Miller: NHL's Coyotes sever ties with top draft pick who admitted to bullying Black classmate with disabilities - CNN

What do you think? Did the team do the right thing?
Tough one. In general, kids are not fully developed and are prone to doing dumb, and sometimes cruel, things. I would always lean toward giving someone the benefit of the doubt. The key is whether he learned any lessons and has grown into a decent, empathetic adult.

In this case, though, based on the very cursory information we have in the article, I think this is probably an overreaction. If it were me, I'd have a 'come to jesus' talk with him, ask him how he makes it right (e.g., personally apologize, volunteer for anti-bullying projects or initiatives, support boys and girls clubs, be a "big brother", etc). There are a lot of ways he can make this right.

Just my two cents.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm...it is a tuff one, but I would agree with Steve, in the question, has he changed, does he still bully?

Most bullies, do not believe that they are bullies, but he seems to have admitted that he is or was at one time.

Bullies though, really do not deserve any respect, yesterday, today, tomorrow or a hundred years from now.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As someone who's teenage years were ruined by bullying, my sympathy is gonna be zero, karma's a b¡t¢h.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This was also not a typical case of bullying either. Miller and his buddies tricked the victim into licking a candy push pop that they wiped in a bathroom urinal. The victim had to get tested for HIV, hepatitis and STDs because of it. 14 is old enough to know what he did was as physically dangerous as it was debilitating to the victim's mental health.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tough one. In general, kids are not fully developed and are prone to doing dumb, and sometimes cruel, things. I would always lean toward giving someone the benefit of the doubt. The key is whether he learned any lessons and has grown into a decent, empathetic adult.

In this case, though, based on the very cursory information we have in the article, I think this is probably an overreaction. If it were me, I'd have a 'come to jesus' talk with him, ask him how he makes it right (e.g., personally apologize, volunteer for anti-bullying projects or initiatives, support boys and girls clubs, be a "big brother", etc). There are a lot of ways he can make this right.

Just my two cents.
I am happy to say we actually agree with your viewpoint on this.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am happy to say we actually agree with your viewpoint on this.

There's another source that says more about the situation: So their was a issue racial issue to this situation as well.

https://www.trainwrecksports.com/isa...tchell-miller/

Quote:
A new boy named Hunter, a friend of Mitchell was now also bullying Isaiah. They both called Isaiah the “N-word” and told him to “go pick their cotton.” They also called him names like “Brownie.” Classmates also confirmed these reports. There was also surveillance footage of both boys physically abusing Isiah, which included slamming his head into a brick wall.

Latest Discussions