Pressure testing self-defence techniques

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is a school of thought within the self-defence community (“RBSD” although that label is fast becoming a stigma as somewhat unrealistic people join the bandwagon), that the training which best prepares you for real life situations is that which is closest to it. This school of thought acknowledges that whatever training you do, it is often going to be a step-up to the real thing. I say “often” because ‘reality’ is itself an imprecise and variable factor. The goal therefore is to make the step-up as small as possible.

So we need ways of comparing our training options with “reality” in order to assess the benefit we are getting and what we can do to get closer to “reality”.

One model, my own in fact, plots training activities against two variables:
1. The contact level
2. The scope (“bandwidth”) or resistance you face

For practical reasons “reality” is plotted as notionally unrestricting in both scope and contact. Obviously this is not always the case, but it is best not to underestimate it.

The graph ends up looking something like this:
r1deec.gif

You can plot virtually any martial arts training activity on the graph to assess its value.

OP
kickcatcher

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
feel free. It's just common sense really.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
kickcatcher said:

r1deec.gif

You can plot virtually any martial arts training activity on the graph to assess its value.

So the "Value" of a martial art, or of training in a martial art, is dependant upon the level of resistance and the level of contact w/in it's training????

So....If I go and take a running start, and slam my head into a Male "Silver-back" Gorrilla...and call it a martial art
That would make it a "Valuable" martial art?

I'm probably just not following your logic.

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
kickcatcher said:
There is a school of thought within the self-defence community (“RBSD” although that label is fast becoming a stigma as somewhat unrealistic people join the bandwagon) , that the training which best prepares you for real life situations is that which is closest to it.
I understand this 'way' of thinking, but really....when you get closer to this particular 'situation' (in this case, combat) you also get results that are "closer" to the results you'd get from the 'actual' thing as well.
Like injuries, getting maimed/disabled, death.

Not good training, in my book.

Your Brother
John

OP
kickcatcher

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
So the "Value" of a martial art, or of training in a martial art, is dependant upon the level of resistance and the level of contact w/in it's training????
From a purely SD viewpoint, yes. There are numerous subtleties to factor in, but that's the general gist of it.

Brother John said:
So....If I go and take a running start, and slam my head into a Male "Silver-back" Gorrilla...and call it a martial art
That would make it a "Valuable" martial art?
If you were successful in defeating the gorilla then yes, that sounds like a good art for unarmed SD. The stupidity of your suggestion aside.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Great chart and this will lead to many of us to measure our own martial art classes to the real world of real street fighing.

Real fighting is total chaos, with no rules anything goes, anyone can jump in, anything and everything around can be and will be use for weapons to hurt/kill you. NO such thing as a fair fight. Biting,eye gouging,stratching, breaking bones and all. Real fighting many times will continue untill someone quits or cannot fight back anymore?

People I know who do alot of street fights...tells me they keep on hitting until the person cannot move....base on there experience (they live in a rough housing area). Because many times before if the person can get back up...they will attack somemore and even grap a weapon of some kind. Are you prepare for this? and this style of fighting? ........Aloha

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Interesting....

"Martial" Arts is far more than just fighting..

No it isnt...its all about MMA and who can kick whos butt in UFC...No Holds Barred except the ones that are illegeal!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are just to many variables in any fight situatiion be it in the ring or out on the street...skill sometimes plays little to no part in fights...sometimes it plays the biggest part, sometimes its power...sometimes speed...but everytime luck plays a part in it!

To really pressure test something, you can only do it by fighting..I mean real fighting... to the death (most TMA were tested under these conditions i.e wars etc). If you place rules in the test then you are only pressure testing a type of fighting e.g boxing is only pressure tested against other boxers..but they get nailed against a Judoka...but still it is about individuals not arts...so I would say it is about pressure testing individuals as IMHO there is no way to test an art because an art is what you make it!

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds to me like this is just about street fighting then, not self defense and not Martial Arts.

Self defense (as talked about in lots of other threads) is as much about keep yourself safe and not ending up in the situation where you need to fight as it is about ones confidence/attitude etc, these are just as important as any technical skill.

And if the only way to really test is a so called fight to the death, then fighting agenst 'resistance' in class is not going to cut it either and we are all screwed.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"Martial" Arts is far more than just fighting.
-Maybe, if you're the philosophical type. But this thread is titled "Pressure testing self defense techniques".

Reactions: MJS

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think you have to balance between realiastic training and not maiming your students. It's a tough balancing act to maintain but has to be done. By the way, I do favor pressure testing, the closer to the real thing you get, the more accurately you can gauge your response, but safety must always be an issue.
Pax
Cujo

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SAVAGE said:
How do I use the ignore user thingy?

User CP, miscellaneous, Ignore/buddy list.

Type in the name of the member you want to ignore and update. :)

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Go to USER CP...click ignore....good so far...add SARAH and Lisa!!!!

JUST JOKING....You know I love you guys!!! Especially on this beautiful tropical day..I am going this evening to watch an electrical storm out at sea (I wont be out at sea)!

Tomorrow another day at the beach, practicing Kata!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SAVAGE said:
Go to USER CP...click ignore....good so far...add SARAH and Lisa!!!!

JUST JOKING....You know I love you guys!!! Especially on this beautiful tropical day..I am going this evening to watch an electrical storm out at sea (I wont be out at sea)!

Tomorrow another day at the beach, practicing Kata!

I hate you. :p

Latest Discussions