President Bush to Receive Purple Heart Medal

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr. William Thomas, of Copperas Cove, Texas, received a purple heart for injuries sustained in the Vietnam War. He was shot with a 50 caliber round to his lung and shoulder.

Mr. Thomas is going to present President Bush with his Purple Heart medal for "emotional wounds and scars" the President has received. He said, "I feel the President deserved one."

http://www.kdhnews.com/archives/results.aspx?sid=15367&q=purple+heart&t=def

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well it's the chaps right to do that if he so wishes.

But I have to say that the thread title made me oddly irate :eek:.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
He should give it to an unemployed vet who had his legs blown off and brain pulped. The poor SOB could pawn it for a mortgage payment.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not something I agree with, but it is his right to do so.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Certainly, Mr. Thomas has the right to do with his medal what he wishes. Although, I do recall that some have questioned the right, or at least the proprietariness of John Kerry, and other soldiers and veterans to do with their medals as he / they wish.

But, should the "Commander-in-Chief" accept the medal?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well it's the chaps right to do that if he so wishes.

But I have to say that the thread title made me oddly irate :eek:.

Me too, brought to mind Maj. Burns getting one for slipping in the mud on the way out of Hotlips tent...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Exactly. I think he's so desperate to find allies, he'll do anything.

But esp. considering how he managed to dodge any dangerous service activity when he had the chance to serve honarably, I think it's a pretty bad picture if he accepts it.

I think it's a tremendous insult to the real soldiers who are in harm's way.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Certainly, Mr. Thomas has the right to do with his medal what he wishes. Although, I do recall that some have questioned the right, or at least the proprietariness of John Kerry, and other soldiers and veterans to do with their medals as he / they wish.

In John Kerry's case the story goes he later admitted they weren't his own medals he threw over the White House gate. Is this accurate?

No.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ya remember when you were in kindergarten, and if you had some form of competition, all the kids got a medal for participating, so that nobody got their feelings hurt and started crying...?

my god, I would THINK the president would have grown up at least that much...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Could the President be any more insulting than to refuse such a precious gift and gesture from an injured war veteran?

Well, other than accept the medal?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score

Attachments

• $napoleon.jpg
    $napoleon.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 282

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Could the President be any more insulting than to refuse such a precious gift and gesture from an injured war veteran?

Well, other than accept the medal?

Agreed.

This is something of a sore spot for me as last summer following a death in the family and the dispersal of personal effects that entails, I was entrusted with my Uncle Ricky's Purple Heart.

I call him Uncle Ricky because he would have been my uncle, he was killed nine years before I was born outside Cu Chi in 1969( whoever said "What you don't know won't hurt you" obviously never heard of snipers).

That presentation box contains his Purple Heart, the corresponding campaign ribbon to be worn on the Class A dress uniform, his US Army name tape and unit patches from his unit (25th Infantry).

That medal , in that box, on my dresser? That isn't MINE. It's entrusted to me till it's time to pass it on to the next family member.

So when I see them casually bandied about like this when my Uncle gave everything he had for his, you can see why it makes my teeth hurt some.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes. I think he should.
I'm not making a judgement call on wether he should have one, but rejecting it would be....I think.....a bad move and impolite to the person who EARNED it and WANTED you to have it.

...aren't there bigger issues than this? This is pretty darn inconsequential isn't it?
I'm not defending the President. I personally am very disapointed with President Bush...
but there's lots of other issues that you could go after him for. What this solidier has chosen to do with his medal Should fly under everyones radar. It should only be important to HIM I'd think.

Your Brother
John

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andy Moynihan

As I understand it, you are correct. The medals that John Kerry threw back were not his medals. They were given to him for the purpose of him throwing them back.

Crushing,

You posit an interesting question.

The Purple Heart is given for :
Being wounded or killed in any action against an enemy of the United States or as a result of an act of any such enemy or opposing armed forces

Were the President to refuse to accept the gift, he would be offending a veteran. By accepting the gift, in the spirit offered; for emotional wounds and scars, is he diminishing the spirit of the award to the other recipients?

And, although Mr. Thomas does not indicate who might have inflicted those emotional wounds and scars, the tenor of the article is that they are inflicted by the President's political adversaries. Is equating the 'loyal opposition' (a traditional term for the other political party in our two party system) with "an enemy of the United States" appropriate?

Brother John,

So far, I don't believe any of my posts in this thread have been an attack on the President. There is no 'go after' involved. I am relaying a news story. My "powder is dry" on this topic.

So far, this news story has involved Mr. Thomas, Mr. Thomas' congressman, Representative John Carter (R-TX), the President of the United States and the Killeen Daily Herald (Killeen, Texas).

As for bigger issues out there ... quite probably. A good source would be the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans for America. I think they have some interesting reporting on emotional and mental health wounds suffered by our troops ... www.iava.org

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brother John,

So far, I don't believe any of my posts in this thread have been an attack on the President. There is no 'go after' involved. I am relaying a news story. My "powder is dry" on this topic.

So far, this news story has involved Mr. Thomas, Mr. Thomas' congressman, Representative John Carter (R-TX), the President of the United States and the Killeen Daily Herald (Killeen, Texas).

As for bigger issues out there ... quite probably. A good source would be the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans for America. I think they have some interesting reporting on emotional and mental health wounds suffered by our troops ... www.iava.org
Guess I didn't mean to make it sound like you were 'attacking' really.
It's simply a gracious gesture (the offer of the medal) toward a man that doesn't deserve it. (it's earned for pains/harm in combat serving your country. Pres. Bush hasn't suffered that.)
I think it shows a deep heart on the warriors part though. His intentions seem good.

Have a good one
Your Brother
John

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think Bush should get a medal. After all, he awarded George Tenet the Medal of Freedom for screwing up the intelligence leading up to the Iraq War ("It'll be a slam dunk"); to Tommy Franks for screwing up the plans for the Iraq War ("We'll only need 140,000 troops"); and to L. Paul Bremer for screwing up the reconstruction of Iraq. So yes, Bush deserves a medal as much as these guys did.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow,

I am 70% disabled following my stint in the USMC. Now, I never asked to receive or accept what wasn't deserved. That is all I am going to say about this.

I mean, emotional stress? For what? I am not entirely understanding what this man seems to be thinking. Actually, to give away awards and decorations that one has earned is frowned upon.

Passing down as in a family heirloom is expected, but awarding to someone else? Not valid.

Latest Discussions