President Bush goes to Iraq.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I almost didn't hear the announcement yesterday at noon-time. Then I thought I had heard it wrong. I know the reports said President Bush was in Crawford, TX for Thanksgiving. But then I heard a report he was in Baghdad. About this, I have a few thoughts:

a) - Way to Go Mr. President. That was a real good thing to do. I'm proud of you.

b) - Senator Clinton was in Afghanistan for Thanksgiving (along with Senator Reed). Man, do they have to feel upstaged.

c) - Mr. President, I hope in your conversations with the Iraqi Governing Council were intelligent and responsible. The United States policy in Iraq should not be governed by Mullah Sistani.

d) - The president stated he would not have gone to Baghdad if the press had been unable to accompany him. I think this statement detracts from the visit, and shows how desperately the adminstration needs to change the photo op that represents this Presidency to something other than the deck of the Abraham Lincoln ("Mission Accomplished"); especially heading into an election.

Do you have any opinions on this visit?

Mike

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
People can spin it any way they want...However, the troops cheered and hollered when they saw the president. That alone speaks volumes, ask the troops what they thought...Maybe thats what he meant, that he wanted the press to see for themselves that there is alot of good being done in Iraq, because the press rarely shows anything positive.

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
Right now, nothing more than the immediate, "Way to go Mr. President."

Our servicemen and women needed that kind of a visit and speaking as a soldier, I'll take a visit from my CiC than Paul Bremmer any day. It should also be noted that the risk he took in this instance was quite real. No amount of security could have stopped a mortar attack if one had happened to be directed at that mess facility. He showed a willingness to be with his troops that was quite touching. No matter how much the photos of him serving food and backslapping may later be used as fodder both for and against him, the fact remains that for those soldiers in that tent, he was there with them, sharing the risks, and sharing the spirit of the holiday.

As for Sen Clinton, I can't say anything nice about her so I'll just shut up. I do hope that her visit was enlightening to her and that she has a better idea of what we go through on deployments and that she'll consider that when it comes time to give us a raise or improve our COLA allowance.

From a PSYOP perspective this has got to be somewhat demoralizing to the Iraqi/pan Arab guerilla movement. The Iraqi people see that we can bring our president to have dinner with lowly soldiers half a world away and Sadaam can't even walk to the store for a gallon of goats milk.

Lets see what the future brings.

andy

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not a Bush supporter....I have had minimal respect for him.

Until now.

I still disagree heavily with his policies, agendas and more.

But I have to give him credit for going. That showed a bit more backbone than I had given him credit for.

It may have been a photo op.. I think it was much more to boost the morale of the troops, and to show the press that their 'gloom' reporting is rather biased. We know that if there was any hint of a threat that they woulda turned around in a heartbeat...yet to go shows more balls and heart than I'd thought.

So, Mr. Bush, here is 1 detractor who says 'well done Mr. President.'

Maybe there is hope yet for things.

:asian:

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If all he had wanted was a photo op, there's plenty of opportunity for that here (Thanksgiving with his family, visiting the wounded in military hospitals, visiting the families of slain troops, etc.). Instead, he put his tail on the line (I don't care how well AF1 is protected, stuff happens) in order to show the troops that both he and the American people appreciate their sacrifice and that we support them no matter what we may think of the war or how it's going. The troops, in turn, showed that they got the message and respect his leadership.

Hats off to the Prez- a stand-up guy! :)

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kaith, I, like you I assume, have seldom said a kind word about our president, until yesterday afternoon. The actions of this adminstration are offensive to what I was taught America was all about ... but, I started this thread noting his actions in a very positive way (at least in my own thoughts and intents).

Of the responses so far;
As for Sen Clinton, I can't say anything nice about her so I'll just shut up.
Perhaps you could let Captian Jim Mullen say something for you ...
"It's great that she came here," said Capt. Jim Mullin, a 29-year-old from Mahopac who pointed out that Senator Clinton could have spent the holiday with her famous family. "It's selfless, something I respect." (taken from David Rohde's New York Times article).

If all he had wanted was a photo op, there's plenty of opportunity for that here
Randy, it is not just a photo op he wanted (or Karl Rove wanted) . . . it was a photo op that would superceed the 'Mission Accomplished' banner on the Abraham Lincoln. Now, if the Democratic (or Green) nominee for president runs a commercial with that banner, the RNC or Bush campaign can counter with the chow line photo.

he put his tail on the line
Yes he did ... but no more so than those who he leads as commander in chief. It is appropriate for him to do so. But, as has been reported, the decision to go was based on the assessment that his visit would not put his entourage in any excessive danger, and it would not put the troops on the ground in any greater danger.

because the press rarely shows anything positive.
I keep myself very aware of the good things that are going on in Iraq. But to lay blame on the "press" because they choose to report a soldier dying in an ambush, rather than a soccer field being completed is to not understand what is newsworthy.
As long as soldiers are dying every day, as long as the wounded that have returned home are getting eliminated from the DoD payroll (because he is listed as dead in the computer, even though he is a patient in a VA hospital), the successes in with the schools are never going to get airtime. Not even on the 24 hour - All Bush All the Time - FoxNews channel. The 'positive' stuff will cause them to lose market share to the 'real' stuff.

Peace - Mike

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
"I keep myself very aware of the good things that are going on in Iraq. But to lay blame on the "press" because they choose to report a soldier dying in an ambush, rather than a soccer field being completed is to not understand what is newsworthy."

No, it's not about the soccer fields, it's about how the killing and slaughtering of their own citizens has now stopped. The mass graves that hold tens of thousands are no longer being filled. It's about how the mortality rate is now slowing down in Iraq. It's about how all the hospitals are now open and are being supplied. it's about how the Iraqis can govern themselves and their own economy.It's about not being jailed or executed for speaking up against Huessein. It about how the only people who don't want us there in Iraq are the ones who want to rule with their own brand of oppression. And finally, it's about the chemical and biological weapons Huessein had, but refused to destroy or divulge where they are....if thats not what America is about, then you have the wrong idea.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it's about how the killing and slaughtering of their own citizens has now stopped.

But, we did not engage in this military exercise to stop the killing of the Iraqi people by the adminstration of their own government. We invaded this country because the posed an imminent danger to the security of the United States.

It's about how all the hospitals are now open and are being supplied.

Yes. Hospitals and Schools are open. But that is not news when American Soldiers are dying in guerrilla attacks. Or when Humanitarian volunteers are killed by American Soldiers. Or when Aid Agencies decide they can not continue to work in Iraq to help stabalize the country.

``It's getting worse there rather than better,'' observed Clemens Graf von Waldburg-Zeil, the secretary general of the German Red Cross (DRK). He said all DRK staff were withdrawn from Iraq by the end of August.

BUDAPEST Nov 21 (AFP) - A Hungarian student carrying out humanitarian work in Iraq has been shot dead by US soldiers in an incident at a checkpoint, the Hungarian foreign ministry announced on Friday.

And finally, it's about the chemical and biological weapons Huessein had, but refused to destroy or divulge where they are

Yes, every day I see the good news from David Kay and his inspection teams how they are finding all of the items Colin Powell presented to the United Nations in January ... like:

* Iraq today has a stockpile of between 100 and 500 tons of chemical weapons agent
*Saddam Hussein already possesses two out of the three key components needed to build a nuclear bomb
* Iraq has programs that are intended to produce ballistic missiles that fly over 1,000 kilometers

Oh, wait ... I'm sorry ... David Kay has NOT found any of those items. Nor have they found any other evidence of an immenent danger to the United States.

Even still ... It was a good thing that Mr. Bush did yesterday. I'm proud of him.

Here's a toast the first amendment.

Mike

Fightfan00

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think its a good thing that the president spend thanksgiving with our troops!But somehow I think it was somekind of publisity stund for another nomination.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have not had the opportunity to view the news as closely today as I would have liked. I am heavily involved in a work project for today and the next few days.

I understand President Bush visited Iraq this morning (last evening). He deserves much credit for this, as he did two and a half years ago.

Here is hoping that by delivering the a message of transition and action to the Iraqi government in person it will have greater effect.

:eek:

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i dont follow politics much, so forgive me for asking a silly question... but why is it so good that he is visiting iraq?

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BrandiJo said:
i dont follow politics much, so forgive me for asking a silly question... but why is it so good that he is visiting iraq?

Why do people put those little yellow ribbon magnets on their cars?

The citizens of the United States are going to spend over $1,000,000,000,000.00 (one trillion dollars) on the removal of Saddam Hussien before we are done. If you are a citizen of this country, you are sacrificing some of your childrens future economic security for this mission.

The President has said that investment is worthwhile. I am not going to debate that fact in this post.

More than one million United States Soldiers are now members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars because of this invasion. If his presence was only to demonstrate conviction and support for their efforts, it is worthwhile.

It is also critical that the Iraqi government be given support, and a visit by the POTUS is a very visible sign of that support.

Cynically, it may, in the end, have no effect. Further, it may be part of an organized political ploy to affect the November election. Certainly, the Administration 'played' the news media like a fiddle over this well planned, orchestrated publicity event ... and, as usual ... the media took the bait hook, line and sinker.

But regardless, for those serving, it was a significant show of support.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I understand President Bush visited Iraq this morning (last evening). He deserves much credit for this, as he did two and a half years ago.

:eek:

Well, prop me up and fan my face.............Wait a minute!!!! Who are you and what have you done with Michael???

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
Well, prop me up and fan my face.............Wait a minute!!!! Who are you and what have you done with Michael???

He didn't say that the credit should be positive or negative, just that "He deserves much credit for this, as he did two and a half years ago."

For example, Joseph Hazelwood is credited with having a significant impact on Alaskan wildlife. Although the word credit is usually associated with an honor or being in good standing.

Hmmm. What other comparisons can we make between CPT Hazelwood and Pres. Bush?

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I heard about this visit on the news last night. The main thing that struck me as odd was that they said the trip was unscheduled and Bush's advisors didn't even know about it till they were on the plane. Moreover, the Iraqi Pres didn't know about it till Bush got there. Doesn't that seem odd to anyone else? The president of the United States isn't the type of person to drop over to your place to watch the football game.

Forgive me for being cynical in this situation, but I see this "visit" as more of a publicity stunt than any showing of support. Perhaps Bush should have walked on camera with the key to the door to the Iraqi capitol where the press conference was held, waving it around, saying "look! I own this now too! I can come and go as I please!".

Just seems fishy to me...

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Security reasons. The fewer people know the better. Loose lips sink ships and all that.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:
Security reasons. The fewer people know the better. Loose lips sink ships and all that.
I can appreciate that, however in that position, I would think that at least the foreign dignitary that he was going to visit would be informed. :idunno:

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When that place is Iraq I think all courtesy rules are off.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe all parties were informed.

Everyone was aware that President Bush was going to meet with Prime Minister Maliki. The meeting was scheduled via video conferencing and was scheduled for a several hour meeting.

That President Bush made the visit in person was only a change in geography of the meeting ... not that the meeting was going to take place.

Certainly, Iraq remains one of the most dangerous, if not the most dangerous place on the planet. Keeping the President's travel plans secret is certainly prudent.

And, YES, President Bush deserves much positive credit for this visit. It is a significant show of support to the Iraqi government, and to the soldiers serving in country, past and present.

It may very well be part of a publicity campaign ... but that is insignificant to the realpolitick of the situation.

Hopefully, it will be several more days before the 2,500 United States soldier looses life in Iraq (currently 2,497). That will be an unfortunate, and sad juxtoposition of events.

Latest Discussions