Present Situation of Chinese Martial Arts

shoebox

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Can anybody tell me the present situation of Chinese martial arts? I read from various sources that much of Chinese martial arts being taught today are for demonstration/health purposes but the combat root has been lost. Further, I heard that only a handful of masters exist that have the depth of knowledge in the traditional arts. Thanks for helping me understand the present state of Chinese martial arts.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
NOT True on many levels ask GM Cheung if the traditional arts are dead or one of the other many out there is there a "sport" element of course is ther a heath element , always has been its been one oth the main points from day one. The combat is there if you seek it.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Can anybody tell me the present situation of Chinese martial arts? I read from various sources that much of Chinese martial arts being taught today are for demonstration/health purposes but the combat root has been lost. Further, I heard that only a handful of masters exist that have the depth of knowledge in the traditional arts. Thanks for helping me understand the present state of Chinese martial arts.
I don't know what sources you are reading but this is not true in my world.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not around me... it's meant to break people, hurt things & make sure I can go home at night.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh... and welcome to MartialTalk shoebox. You might want to check in at 'Meet and Greet' and tell us about yourself.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Soooo not true. Most CMA systems are quite deady and practical. The only two I can think of that could fall into that category are Tai Chi, with the knowledge that Tai Chi is a combat CMA like the others, but some teachers have watered it down and present it for health benefits without the self defense training, and Wushu. Oh, and welcome to Martial Talk!

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Don't believe everything you read. :wink2:

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I can understand how an idea like this can arise. Modern Wushu, which is being heavily pushed by the Chinese government perhaps as a rival to TKD, focuses on performance and competition; Taiji has suffered immensely over the last few decades from people not knowing the facts behind what they are teaching. These things tend to make CMA look like it is losing something.

I have to agree with the others though, the CMA still maintain their power. Its just that you might not find it everywhere.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Taught where?

In the majority of Physical Education Colleges in China it is mainly taught as a performance art and they teach sanshou for fighting.

But if you go into a park in Beijing and walk up to the guy doing Tongbeiquan, Bajiquan, Xingyiquan, Baguazhang, Changquan, etc and tell him his kungfu is no good you’re in for a rather painful demonstration.

Much of taiji taught both here (USA) and in China is form only but many that study with the Chen family are martial artists and my Sifu teaches the real deal too as do many others.

As you have already been told don't believe what you read but also you have to be very careful when you are looking for a CMA school, not all are actually CMA and some that are may not really know the style in depth enough to actually be able to teach it correctly.