Presas Arnis

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tim,

I've noticed your signatory is Presas Arnis and in the Modern Arnis Minute segment #4 your belt has two very broad stripes on it, which is the same as what SGM Ed Parker used to denote 10th Dan.

Could you give us a rundown of what Presas Arnis is and how it differs from Remy Presas Modern Arnis?

Thanks,
Dan Anderson

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dan,

Presas Arnis is a synthesis of Modern Arnis, Kombatan, Balintawak, and (to a much lesser extent), Bando and other arts that influenced the WMAA curriculum.

Regards,

Steve

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Belt question would have taken 5 minutes on the phone you know.

"Tim? Yeah, this is Dan. I was watching your videos and saw your belt. That a kenpo 10th? It is? Hey great, how much to get me one with my name embroidered on it?"

Simple, quick, and you might get a discount even. Ok, probably not, but hey. :D

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
So is Tim now 10th Dan Kenpo or 10th Dan Presas Arnis?

Thanks

Dieter

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We did talk about on the phone but he never announced anything after the WMAA camp as he told back in March. We are mid personal (not camp related) issues currently so the phone comm has been kept to a bare minimum. Also, I was curious if he would answer himself or leave it to someone else.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd guess 10th Presas Arnis. He mentioned a bunch of stuff at the camp, but hasn't sent me much update wise for the websites so, I've had nothing to put out on my end. He might have said something on FMATalk, but I don't recall. You guys can sort the rank/politic stuff out, I just do websites and take pictures these days.

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd guess 10th Presas Arnis. He mentioned a bunch of stuff at the camp, but hasn't sent me much update wise for the websites so, I've had nothing to put out on my end. He might have said something on FMATalk, but I don't recall. You guys can sort the rank/politic stuff out, I just do websites and take pictures these days.
No politics intended. Just get curious when I see it on the site (Presas Arnis as opposed to Modern Arnis) and then see the belt on the Modern Arnis Minute (as his 7th & 9th) were done Kenpo karate style.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*shrug*

Or, as Bob said, the questions could have been answered with a 5 minute phone call.

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Carol,

I already knew. I got my personal answer on the phone last summer. The time lag and source of the answer as well as how long it took to get an online answer in print was interesting.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me personally, I'm just amused by the concern over ranks, but then again, as I'm both the founder and 33rd Grandmaster of Kungate, it all amuses me. ;)

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me personally, I'm just amused by the concern over ranks, but then again, as I'm both the founder and 33rd Grandmaster of Kungate, it all amuses me. ;)
Bob, I do consider MT a credible peer review source. That is why in the past I posted my promotion announcements on this site in the past.

Others have done so as well.

It's a personal choice but I do believe that using avenues for peer review and allowing others to review and comment provides healthy dialog.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my opinion, things should cut both ways.

There was a thread concerning questions regarding Dan's Modern Arnis 80 on this board in which Datu Tim participated in.

It's not like Datu Tim hasn't posted on this site recently.

Again, I am not into politics, and good for Mr. Hartman if he has achieved this rank, but imho, a public title does invite public questions, just as long as they are not personal or too subjective. I also feel MT can be a source for professional peer discussions similar like a "Journal of Medicine" and such.

Latest Discussions