Practicing wrist locks solo.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any tips on how to do this? I'm guessing likely not.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can practice the gross movements solo, but as with so many other things in life, doing this properly requires a partner.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wally Jay's wife, Bernice, told me that when Wally flew somplace he'd be in his seat very quietly practicing wrist locks on himself for hours, paying particular attention to the placement of fingers, height of elbow etc. She said he used to get the oddest looks.

But other than that, yeah, you need a partner. Besides, if you wrist lock yourself....how are you going to tap if you go too hard? :)

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hehe, thought it might be a stretch. I get to practice at the dojang twice a week. And the kids just run away from anything that resembles pull my finger.

Will stick with strengthening exercises and the motions as suggested.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get one of those long pool noodle things the kids play with and fasten it to something so it simulates an arm .
Haven't tried wrist locks on them , so don't really know how far they will bend before they snap , but it's worth a try.
I used to tape one of them to my heavy bag and do my Wing Chun stuff on it , a bit of a poor mans wooden dummy.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hapkido Wrist manipulation requires very precise hand placement in relation to the bones in th uke's hand. Not sure a pool noodle would work to well.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hapkido Wrist manipulation requires very precise hand placement in relation to the bones in th uke's hand. Not sure a pool noodle would work to well.

Oh well , back to the drawing board.

What about , if he could get hold of a cadaver.
Nah , that's just creepy.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always let

- my right hand to grab on my left wrist.
- My left arm then rotate into the direction to against my right thumb.
- When my left arm is doing that, my right hand then slide to my left elbow.
- When my left arm spin again, my right hand then reach to my left shoulder.

If I want to develop my grip strength, when my right hand grab my left wrist, I will let my left hand to rotate against the 4 fingers of my right hand. Sometime I'll let my left hand win. Other time I'll let my right hand win.

It's not fun to train solo and that's for sure. Sometime it's very difficult to decide whether you should let your right hand win, or to let your left hand win.

Last edited:
OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh well , back to the drawing board.

What about , if he could get hold of a cadaver.
Nah , that's just creepy.

Maybe a noodle with a painters hand model thing. Will looks very strange, but might help could then put markers on the points that need to be held.

HOT-sell-Left-Right-Men-wood-font-b-hand-b-font-Gifts-Crafts-wood-font-b.jpg

This could work maybe...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That hand does not accurately duplicate the movement and limitations of human joints. Those are a vital factor in applying a wrist lock properly and effectively.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That hand does not accurately duplicate the movement and limitations of human joints. Those are a vital factor in applying a wrist lock properly and effectively.

What about the first steps of application, maybe only the initial contact.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just grab your other hand then.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hapkido takes two people, it's as simple as that. You can maybe do kicks and punches and stuff alone but joint manipulation requires an uke, it is inescapable.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The throwing art takes 2 people. But one can still train "partner drill" without partner.

partner drill:

partner drill without partner - one can always use the solo drill to "polish" his skill.

Last edited by a moderator:

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think practicing a wrist lock in isolation is going to be tough without having an actual wrist to work with, but if the technique has other elements - footwork, strikes, throws, etc - you can walk through those by yourself, to at least get the pattern down.

Also - can you take a video of the technique during/after class to review at home? Even if you can't practice feeling out the wrist, you can at least remind yourself what the motion looks like.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have to put a caveat on fixing friends PCs and networks. Instead of paying in beer, they become my dummy for an hour of technique practice outside the club.

Yeah, I'll maybe stick to practicing break falls and basic kick\punch. But I might take the camera in next time and ask to film a demo, I'd just like to be able to recall the correct motion and technique when asked, even if it's just aid in memory.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have to put a caveat on fixing friends PCs and networks. Instead of paying in beer, they become my dummy for an hour of technique practice outside the club.

Yeah, I'll maybe stick to practicing break falls and basic kick\punch. But I might take the camera in next time and ask to film a demo, I'd just like to be able to recall the correct motion and technique when asked, even if it's just aid in memory.

Not a bad notion, make sure they sign a release form first!

Latest Discussions