Practicing/Learning Horse Stance

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As of late I have been focusing on horse stance and doing the stance at least three times a day (a few minutes at a time). However, a personal trainer brought to my attention that I might want to go every other day to let my muscles heal and rebuild. My Sifu states in class to do it at least once a day and build the muscle. I'm torn. Does anyone have any insight to add to my confusion? Thank you.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm not a trainer nor do I consider myself a shifu so take this for what it is worth....

Train everyday and extend the time a little (very little, seconds to a minute) each day, that is the traditional CMA way of it. This is a static posture and that is how it is done in TCMA in the early stages

Do 3 minutes for a few days then go to 4 or try 5 and build from there.

OP
T

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the response Xue. That is exactly how I was training, except I am extending the time in weekly intervals by 15-30 seconds. Right now I am at 4.5 minutes before my muscles start to burn and the following minute is me trying to zone out and not think about it by focusing on posture and keeping the back straight and feet facing forward. I feel so out of shape doing this stance, but I can definitely see and feel a change in just the few weeks I have been focusing on it. I was really second guessing the frequency of my activity when a, "certified" person brought into question over training and recovery.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's also better to NOT do them static but maintain the parallel thigh (not below) or above if you're still working down it, height. Then move between the horses... sei ping ma, dingji ma, tau ma, seih ma, gwai ma, luk gwai ma, etc... In doing this your muscle won't become accustomed to "locking" you into place, but they can support & move you at a lowered level.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chinese medicine does good for muscle healing, basic stretches don't seem like much but they do help a lot, and like what Xue Sheng said start off with short workouts and gradually add time to that

Best of luck

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, we need time to rest after exercise, but I don't think there's any science that says we need a whole day. Now, I'm not a trainer or sifu either, but if you know what it feels like to over extend yourself, watch out for that sensation. Also, it sounds like CLFSean's plan of moving is good, and natural, too.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's also a difference between muscle strength and muscle endurance, we talk about them like they're the same thing, but they aren't. If you were weight lifting to build muscle size and strength, a day off makes sense. But you are working on muscle endurance which is why you do it every day.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's also a difference between muscle strength and muscle endurance, we talk about them like they're the same thing, but they aren't. If you were weight lifting to build muscle size and strength, a day off makes sense. But you are working on muscle endurance which is why you do it every day.

I completely agree. There may be some difference between Chinese style horse stance and old style Korean or Karate. I frequently hold horse stance for 10 to 15 min and in my early days we held it for considerably longer while the Master instructor tested our stability by climbing up onto our hips or roundhouse kicking us moderately in the abdomen to dislodge us. Other than progressively stronger thighs and endurance, I don't recall any after effects. I still use horse stance as part of my basic warm up and stretch.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the "every other day" mentality came about from weightlifting gyms to emphasize to overly enthusiastic beginners that success in pumping iron will come from steady, regular habits and not by burning yourself out the first week of lifting and getting so sore you can hardly move.

A horse stance is body weight only. That's not to say it isn't weight-bearing, and not to say it isn't challenging. But I don't think there is any need to take a day off if you are doing the gradual work as you describe.

With any exercise, one of the most valuable things you can do is to pay attention to your own body. There are times you might be a little stiff, a little sore, or a bit tired. That's the normal stuff....and if you're feeling that, you're probably also feeling pretty good from your workout. But if you are genuinely exhausted, or if the stiffness/soreness is affecting normal activities (such as your gait) for more than a few minutes, its probably time to take a day off and rest. :)

OP
T

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input. To put it into perspective that this is not weight training but endurance training gives me a better understanding. I am here to be healthy for as long as possible, and I would hate to go through life thinking I know all, therefore discrediting anything and everything spoken/written that was against what X,Y or Z said/wrote would be disadvantageous. Thank you again for your input :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is weight training, in a sense. It is a load-bearing strength-training exercise, where your body is the weight instead of hunks of iron :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As of late I have been focusing on horse stance and doing the stance at least three times a day (a few minutes at a time).

Instead of to train static horse stance, it's better to train dynamic horse stance. You can use your horse stance to

- throw your opponent over your back,
- drag your opponent down,
- spin your opponent down,

It will make your boring horse stance training to be more fun if you add application to it.

cloud dancing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello Tenacious,took decades to understand standing still/foundation/ is most important technique I eer learned.Could simply teach standing techniqueand student would have great benefits.Ask Sifu for correct BREATHING for during standing.As you continue with style/your horse stance wil also increase until you have about one hour daily w/o moving/simply standing still.Burn will leave and as you focus on your breathing/your mind wil calm down.Sifu starts student with horse/Building begins with what'snot seen-the foundation.If foundation of buiding is not strong /it all collapses. Ask Sifu for history aand how long he developed his ability to stand still.Have learned that most all arts/except judo/jujitsu/begin with standing still/Check out Doc Fai Wongs dvds of various standing still tecniques.Go for it.with time/you'll reach goal of one hour.Love your breath.

Latest Discussions