Post surgery, No-leg cardio work

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well everyone, I'm going to be going under the knife to have my ACL replaced tomorrow afternoon. Since I won't be able to go running or even walking fast for a while, I need some cardio ideas that I don't need my legs for...any suggestions?

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been under the knife several times myself and getting a good cardio workout without your legs can be difficult. The best thing I have found is a machine called an "upper cycle". Basically its a bicycle that you pedal with your arms. It has variable resistance settings and was really designed to rebuild the upper body, but crank up the resistance and have at it. The hard part is finding one. Most gyms don't have them but good physical therapy centers might. Good luck with your procedure and do your PT. Don't rush it when you start to feel better(been there done that and got more scars to prove it) or you can do more damage. Keep us posted on your progress.
Scott B.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ask your doc about swimming.

I don't know if you're ready yet, but it's a very good cardio workout with very little impact. You can drag your legs rather than kick, or involve your legs gently as you go along.

Again, without knowing your specifics I can only advise you ask your doc. But swimming helps a lot of people recovering from surgery and injury.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The upper body bicycle and swimming took care of my suggestions - so all I can do is wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ask the doctor. Ask the physical therapists. They do this stuff for a living. We don't :)

OP
stone_dragone

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Greatly appreciated, all. I won't get a chance to talk to my PT'ist until a few days after the surgery, but I might get to ask some questions today while I'm waiting...we'll see!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, good surgery to you and good recovery! I had my ACL reconstructed in 2002. Upper cycles and swimming are the two best things you'll have going for you. Once you get your ROM back, bicycling and ellipticals are part of PT, so worry not.

Keep us posted on your recovery. What kind of reconstruction are they doing? Mine is a patellar tendon donation. I have screws! :D

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey, good surgery to you and good recovery! I had my ACL reconstructed in 2002. Upper cycles and swimming are the two best things you'll have going for you. Once you get your ROM back, bicycling and ellipticals are part of PT, so worry not.

Keep us posted on your recovery. What kind of reconstruction are they doing? Mine is a patellar tendon donation. I have screws! :D
I need a TTT(tibial tubercle transfer) done myself which is a realignment of the patellar tendon to keep my knee cap from subluxing. This the injury that knocked me out of MA 25 yrs ago. I'm a little leary of the procedure due to others that didn't work out as the doctor promised. Has anyone out there had or heard of anyone having this procdure? Sorry for getting off topic a little.
Scott
PS. I used to have 4 screws myself but had them removed a few years back.