Possibly transferring styles

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will be moving soon and there are no schools in my style at my new location. I've been training in Tang Soo Do/Soo Bahk Do, a Korean style for about 6 years now.

When I move to Florida, I am looking at Aikido and Isshinryu schools and will be transferring to one of those, hopefully.

My question is, when I move, how do you think it would be best to approach my new instructor?

I do not want any of my experience to transfer OR have an effect on my training. Obviously there will be issues with muscle memory and relearning things....but since my style is descended from Japanese styles, it won't be completely starting over.

Part of my problem is...in the military, when you transfer bases, NO ONE wants to hear about your last base or your experience, because it doesn't matter. When you move, you move and you start over.

Korppi76

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends on teacher. Some might be interested of differences and some wont like to hear anything. But I always mention when I start new art (as a "side art") that I have some training history. Of course when you are instructor you can see if someone has trained or not... usually at least.

For example when I started karate my teachers knew that I had trained Aikido and judo for 6-7 years so they used my as throwing dummy on practices :) And when I tried one other art they said thats good that I have trained something but we do everything differently, which was quite true.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you go with an isshinryu dojo, you'll probably find more similarities than differences, some of the differences may be very subtle, but just enough to cause some problems until you get used to it. Aikido will be very different, but will compliment your training very nicely. I think the fact that you've trained will be very obvious to any instructor. Play it by ear, if it comes up, tell him, if not, your training will show.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it a good idea for the instructor to have a general knowledge of your previous training so he / she will know what to expect and how to best help you. If he / she wants further details you can then provide further info.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Part of my problem is...in the military, when you transfer bases, NO ONE wants to hear about your last base or your experience, because it doesn't matter. When you move, you move and you start over.

Then do that..Find a school..Walk in and if you feel comforatble sign up for lessons..If your asked about previous experience THEN you can tell them..

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then do that..Find a school..Walk in and if you feel comforatble sign up for lessons..If your asked about previous experience THEN you can tell them..

That's exactly what I've been thinking, although I don't want to be insulting by not being truthful.

I'm not sure what the Japanese culture for this is either. On the one hand, I want to be truthful....on the other hand, I don't want to seem like I know something or am any better than any other beginner.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's exactly what I've been thinking, although I don't want to be insulting by not being truthful.

I'm not sure what the Japanese culture for this is either. On the one hand, I want to be truthful....on the other hand, I don't want to seem like I know something or am any better than any other beginner.

I understand your feelings...When you start a opening dialog with the instructor you should be able to feel him out..If he seems like an open person then tell him your backround...If he doesnt seem friendly then don't say a word...I attended a lot of police defensive tactics and never said anything about my experience other than " I picked up a few things"...

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand your feelings...When you start a opening dialog with the instructor you should be able to feel him out..If he seems like an open person then tell him your backround...If he doesnt seem friendly then don't say a word...I attended a lot of police defensive tactics and never said anything other than " I picked up a few things"...
Our application/waiver form asks about prior training -- but you generally will start as a white belt.

When you're visiting & assessing, I wouldn't necessarily say much, and if you do, I think a "Yeah, I did some stuff at my last base" would cover it. If it seems natural and appropriate, give some more info.

But, when you start training, I think it's appropriate to explain that you'd trained for several years in Tang Soo Do. It's easier for me to work with a student who's got experience if I know, because I'm going to know sooner or later, and it saves confusion and miscommunication.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My question is, when I move, how do you think it would be best to approach my new instructor?

Just ask if you can watch a class and join if you are interested. Most teachers at that point will ask you if you have trained MA before, and you can go from there. If he doesn't ask, it's not important to him.

I do not want any of my experience to transfer OR have an effect on my training. Obviously there will be issues with muscle memory and relearning things....but since my style is descended from Japanese styles, it won't be completely starting over.

I'm afraid you may be underestimating how difficult it is to switch styles. There's a huge different between isshinryu and TSD. Just google the term chinkuchi to see an an illustration about how isshinryu generates power. Your experience may be different, but the TSD I've been exposed to, relies heavily on hip twist and so-called 'relaxation' with little formal consideration of which muscles including the abdominal group should be tense or relaxed as you hit.

I'm inclined to believe the change will be much greater than you expect, particularly since you are likely a dan holder and have internalized certain movement patterns already.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm afraid you may be underestimating how difficult it is to switch styles. There's a huge different between isshinryu and TSD. Just google the term chinkuchi to see an an illustration about how isshinryu generates power. Your experience may be different, but the TSD I've been exposed to, relies heavily on hip twist and so-called 'relaxation' with little formal consideration of which muscles including the abdominal group should be tense or relaxed as you hit.

I'm inclined to believe the change will be much greater than you expect, particularly since you are likely a dan holder and have internalized certain movement patterns already.

I'm fully prepared for how big the change will be. That is a part of why I'm interested in starting over and am apprehensive about sharing my training past. I NEED to start from square 0 to rebuild muscle memory to the new style. I know about the difference in power generation. My comment about not completely starting over is based on the fact that there are SOME shared components....and some things that I have a minor head start on. The coordination and balance won't be an issue, nor will learning opposing motions, etc.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My comment about not completely starting over is based on the fact that there are SOME shared components

Maybe if you were switching between relatively similar styles like TSD and TKD...

Just my opinion which is worth about a penny, but you should empty your cup completely if you truly want to be an isshinryu karate-ka and not a tang soo do guy studying in an isshinryu dojo. It's easy to see things visually and believe they are similar because they appear to be similar to the naked eye, and yet when you look at it from a whole body, muscular tension perspective, it is definitely not.

I achieved a 2nd dan in taekwondo before I switched to goju-ryu karate. Even the punching and 'blocks' were NOT the same although outwardly they resembled one another. It just depends on how deep a change you really want to make and whether your new teacher see the differences and wants you to adapt or not. It may be that his interpretation of karate is really not that far from your understanding of tang soo do. In my case, the difference was night and day.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
You really have two options, tell the instructor or not. If you choose to not tell the instructor, it will not take him long to see that you have previous training. This is the approach I have taken and the one I am getting ready to take this week. I am a firm believer that you only tell them if they ask and trust me he/she will ask. I make sure to let them know that I am there to train and I want to be treated like any oher new student.

If you go with Isshinryu it will have some similarities to what you have trained, but there are quite a few differences. The big one that takes time to get used to is vertical fist punching.

Latest Discussions