Poll: Few Iranians see US favorably, despite Obama

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Poll: Few Iranians see US favorably, despite Obama

By ALAN FRAM, Associated Press Writer Mon Jun 8, 12:42 pm ET
Yahoo News/AP EXCERPT:

WASHINGTON – Few Iranians have favorable opinions of the United States, a view that has changed little since the election of an American president
who has expressed a willingness to talk to Tehran, a rare poll of Iranian citizens showed Monday.
Even so, the survey shows Iranians continue to strongly want their country to adopt democratic institutions like free elections and a free press, the poll showed. There also remains a widespread willingness to stage unconditional negotiations with the U.S. following nearly three decades of diplomatic estrangement between the two countries.
Just 29 percent of Iranians said they have favorable views of the United States in the latest poll, which was conducted last month. In a similar survey in February 2008 — nearly a year before Barack Obama became president — 34 percent had positive opinions about the U.S.
END EXCERPT
In a similar survey in February 2008 — nearly a year before Barack Obama became president — 34 percent had positive opinions about the U.S.
Uh... Who was president last year? Oh, yeah. George W. Bush...
What? When that eeeeVil George W. Bush was in office MORE Iranians had positive opinions of the US?! That doesn't fit the narrative we've been fed.

Last edited:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you really believed the things you came out and actually wanted a reasoned discourse on global politics, it'd be laudible.

I've said it often enough that it's becoming a one note song of my own {:eek:} stridency coupled with obstinancy does not make an effective tool to convince people of the correctness of your views.

As to the OP above, a five percent variance in a poll conducted on foreign nationals (after a period in which they have had time to fume on high-handed, Republican, sabre-rattling) is hardly a surprise.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The US polled HIGHER under BUSH(that the media told us everyone hated) than under OBAMA, who the news media, has been telling us EVERYONE LOVES. If that isn't worth commenting on, I don't know what is.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You mean a country whose name roughly translates to "Aryan Nation" liked the white President slightly better than the black President? Whoda thunk?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye; what I was saying tho' is that there is an odd mix of immediacy and 'inertia' in most peoples overtly shown political views (and that using over-large font size to point out the bit you wanted is tantermount to shouting).

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The US polled HIGHER under BUSH(that the media told us everyone hated) than under OBAMA, who the news media, has been telling us EVERYONE LOVES. If that isn't worth commenting on, I don't know what is.

Now consider the events between those two polls, particularly the stuff between the US and Iran that occurred during that 16 month period (11 of which where Bush)

Not been a nice ride, A good chunk of the Republican party was wanting to invade Iran, the Republican candidate sang a "bomb-Iran" song durring the race.

If you wanted to see anything useful out of this you would need monthly polls from then until now to see when that 5% drop happened, and whether it has rebounded at all since.

The poll was also asking opinion on the country, not the president.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

Has there been a poll in Iran since Obama gave his speech to "the Muslim world" in Cairo? The one you've posted about clearly predates that one, so you're argument might just be less than valid, and, if that isn't worth commenting on, I don't know what is. :lol:

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If the results were the opposite and someone else posted the article, this is the only part you'd care about Don,

Accurate public opinion polls are a rarity in Iran, whose Islamic rulers enforce strict rules of behavior and where dissidents are often imprisoned. The survey was conducted by telephone from a nearby country that the sponsors declined to identify for security reasons.

Latest Discussions