Politics Sub Forum?

Should MT add a Politics sub forum to the Study?

• Yes

• No

• Not Sure

• No Opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When we first set up The Study, it wasn't intended to become a heavily political forum. It however has.

To return it to it's original purpose of being an intense, serious forum for discussion of non-martial arts interests I am considering adding a Politics sub-forum, and moving all the political threads there.

What say you all?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
The futher division of the forum creates more organization and order. Order is good.

I think it is a good idea to have the sub forum but for a different reason then order. Chaos ;) There will be more places for people to see, for the closer you get to infinity the closer to chaos you get :D

I really do think a politcal sub-forum would be good and alow the study to go back to its' intent.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tend to view the posts by the 'New Posts' link, which orders the topics according to most recent entry. I hardly ever notice which forum something is in, so it will have little impact on me, either way.

Of course, I spend too much time here anyway. I suppose, if I only showed up once every couple of days, looking by forum might be a big help.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We will encounter difficulty when trying to discern in which forum various topics belong, and that would be the only downside that I can foresee. For example, the abortion debate that we've been working on - this is a Study issue, but also a political issue. There will be times when the topics will be difficult to "label" as either political or non.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There may be some organizational problems, but I think it's a good idea.

Then those of us who like to rant and rave and foam at the mouth about politics know where to huddle together. Or tear each other apart. :D

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
To return it to it's original purpose of being an intense, serious forum for discussion of non-martial arts interests

Isn't that what it is now? I understand that the Politics theme has taken precidence recently, most likely due to the coming election. Once that's over, I'm sure another theme will take over (probably discussing the outcome of the election), and the world keeps spinning. Besides, I'm sure there's enough stuff to do other than mod another forum. :)

just my 2 cents. :asian:

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I personally feel if people want to discuss politics there are better places for it than Martial Talk.
Why? I see only a benefit to the board in being able to offer a wider group of subjects to discuss. As well, isn't the prospect of a political discussion between a group that has martial artists as a majority not enticing, exciting, and altogether splendid? I think it adds a really neato perspective.

Andrew Green said:
I pity the fool that agrees to moderate it :D
Rather than pity, send me cash. For beer. Or just beer. And come help me enjoy it! :cheers: Its just a short drive West, Andrew!

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Why? I see only a benefit to the board in being able to offer a wider group of subjects to discuss. As well, isn't the prospect of a political discussion between a group that has martial artists as a majority not enticing, exciting, and altogether splendid? I think it adds a really neato perspective.
I agree. And I hope you gets lots of beer to moderate it, Flatlander. :wink1:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:

Rather than pity, send me cash. For beer. Or just beer. And come help me enjoy it! :cheers: Its just a short drive West, Andrew!
Calgary right?

May hold you too that one day ;)

Although a Canadian in charge of a politics board on a highly American membership ratio could make it fun :D

P

PeachMonkey

Andrew Green said:
Although a Canadian in charge of a politics board on a highly American membership ratio could make it fun :D

I think the slight emotional distance helps the moderator of such a form to do a good job.

I know Flatlander and Nightingale both have done a great job on the Study.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
I think the slight emotional distance helps the moderator of such a form to do a good job.
Yup, Canadians discussing American Politics:

"They elected WHO!?!"

"How stupid can they get down there!?!"

"Bets on who they'll bomb next anyone?"

:D

Appologies to all I offended... well ok, not really but I think ettiquete requires a fake appology after ofending people ;)

So...

Sorry about the above too if it offended you.

And if the color red offends you, I will appologize for that too.

What where we talking about again...?

Oh yes Bush, every mans favorite subject.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Calgary right?

May hold you too that one day ;)

on a side note:

Andrew nice title, I really like it. I atended a college that had a real severe language policy, and the instructor of my course who was an ex-cop, had to bite his tongue many times when he wanted to say the way something really was. For your title of **** distruber, he would use Fecal Matter Agitator.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I'll role this out, but with a strict language guideline.

You must use proper Canadian Grammer.

That means every sentence ends with "Eh".

And every get together with a beer. :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always pick on the Canadians....I'm from Buffalo. That's almost Ontario. :D

Latest Discussions