Politics - Kerry's options

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread because I had a question and then a comment. I recetly read a headline that stated that Sen. John McCain was open to Kerry's VP nod.

Question: Can he cross party lines and obtain/accept a VP slot on a Dem. ticket?

Kerry has worked with McCain many times in the past and both men have stated their friendship. This seems like a very real possiblity.

Question: Who would be the best VP choice for Kerry?

Assuming Kerry has most of the Dem. vote and some of the independant Bush-hater votes locked as the primary Dem. candidate / Bush threat, is it smarter to hunt the anti-Bush Rep. vote with McCain, a moderate Rep. with at ton of fame, balls and political clout, or hunt the progressive liberal vote with someone like Kucinich, a quarky lesser-known Dem. with great ideas and a feel for liberals, labor and greenies?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Question: Can he cross party lines and obtain/accept a VP slot on a Dem. ticket?
There are no legal reasons to prevent this. In the first presidential elections in our history, the winning candidate became president, the losing president became vice-president. I think that changed with Jefferson, or just after Jefferson.

OULobo said:
Certainly, McCain would be a powerful VP Candidate. Scarborough, last night said that McCain would view that as just revenge toward President Bush for the nasty fighting in South Carolina 4 years ago. However, I think it is very unlikely.

There is no way that Kerry would select someone like Kucinich. He just won't be able to deliver enough votes. And Nader is not going to grab very many votes this time around, so Kerry doesn't need to protect his left.

Kerry needs to pick someone that is going to be a good Presidential Candidate in 8 years (or 4). In this, he has an advantage over Bush, because I don't think Cheney has any interest in the Presidency.

Low percentage candidate : Bob Graham. Could help deliver Florida.
Low percentage candidate : Diane Feinstien. I'm not sure the country is ready for a woman VP / P.
Mid percentage candidate : John Edwards. From the south.
Mid percentage candidate : Bill Richardson. Hispanic

I am not sure who the 'High Precentage Candidates' might be. But I think these four, and McCain, (all of whose names have been floated) are not likely.
We'll see. - Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
I wanted to start this thread because I had a question and then a comment. I recetly read a headline that stated that Sen. John McCain was open to Kerry's VP nod.

Kerry has worked with McCain many times in the past and both men have stated their friendship. This seems like a very real possiblity.

Assuming Kerry has most of the Dem. vote and some of the independant Bush-hater votes locked as the primary Dem. candidate / Bush threat, is it smarter to hunt the anti-Bush Rep. vote with McCain, a moderate Rep. with at ton of fame, balls and political clout, or hunt the progressive liberal vote with someone like Kucinich, a quarky lesser-known Dem. with great ideas and a feel for liberals, labor and greenies?
Alec Baldwin. :uhyeah:

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Alec Baldwin. :uhyeah:
If animals voted I'd say that Alec is a great idea, but until they do a rabid dog PETA rep. ain't good politics. On the other hand, a Mass. Roman Catholic Democrat with many famous brothers might a be a good choice for a Pres., it was once before.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
If animals voted I'd say that Alec is a great idea, but until they do a rabid dog PETA rep. ain't good politics. On the other hand, a Mass. Roman Catholic Democrat with many famous brothers might a be a good choice for a Pres., it was once before.
Don't forget clean water activist. :asian:
Sean

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It would break my heart to see McCain run with Kerry.

Diane Feinstien Sorry She is just crazy if it was up to her we would have about 1000 people in the military and they would all be on one base.

The only reason I wouldn't wan McCain to run with Kerry is the VP isn't strong enough to enforce many of his views on the Country he is there to back the President. Knowing McCain that is exactly what he would do because his dedication is unrelenting.

Thanks

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
It would break my heart to see McCain run with Kerry.

Diane Feinstien Sorry She is just crazy if it was up to her we would have about 1000 people in the military and they would all be on one base.

The only reason I wouldn't wan McCain to run with Kerry is the VP isn't strong enough to enforce many of his views on the Country he is there to back the President. Knowing McCain that is exactly what he would do because his dedication is unrelenting.

Thanks

Right, but that directly opens the door for him to get elected Pres. on the next ticket, and he would have a little support from both parties if he did a stint as a VP under a Dem.

Latest Discussions