Pole dancing

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
So what is the opinion about pole dancing wherever you live?
Here in Belgium, it is starting to get acceptance as a respectable sport for women and young girls. Our dojo did a ninpo / jujutsu demo at a large sports fair organized by the city. After our demo we toured the fair to have a look at other things. There were organizations from all types: martial arts, athletics, rope skipping, gymnastics, tennis, cheerleading, etc, ... and pole dancing.

Pole dancing is no longer considered a purely sexual thing, it's more and more getting the status of a full body power workout, with no more sexual content than e.g. cheerleading. The girls practicing it usually wear the same type of outfit as well, except they have tight shorts instead of skirts.

My daughter wanted to give it a try but the line was too long to her taste so they went on to do something else.

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've seen ads for pole dancing classes and wouldn't be surprised if we'll find a room full of poles with people dancing on them in some sort of aerobics class pretty soon. And to think.. if you liked watching women's aerobics before..

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lol: Aye, chaos, that is one side-effect to consider from this latest 'craze'.

On the topic of how it is viewed over here in England, I think it rather depends on your age. For me, it still has unfortunate connotations of 'sleeze' but for younger people, I agree, it is starting to be seen as just another way of getting excercise.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the latest form of exercise, Sukerkin. Maybe.

I still think this crossed the line from bad taste into chiroptera-intromission crazy.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think for some women it will help them become more comfortable with their own bodies. This may be the closest they come to a dance or gymnastics class in their life. Anything that will help a girl or woman more fully inhabit her own skin and love her own body I am all for. To the Devil with convention. :samurai:
I will admit it doesn't do much for me, but a set of uneven bars or a trampoline gives me a Huge perma-grin. :partyon:

Lori

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, I'm all for Pole Dancing.

As long as I have a pocket full of singles.

Majd

White Belt
Reaction score
@Archangel M: Yeah, same here. I don't admin it but many peoples still think that poll dancers are ***s.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I'm old school, but I have four girls and it has always been my view and mission to keep them "off the pole".

I think to take pole dancing and polish it up and try to market it as a "sport" is rediculous. Marketing genius maybe, but, rediculous none the less.

Granted it takes strength, agility, balance, flexibility, timing, ect. and is probably a great workout, however, the stigma associated with pole dancing will IMO always have some "stripper" connotation attached to it.

Basically, IMO, you can't polish a turd.

Michael

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
America has always had a weird relationship with sex and sexualilty. I don't want my niece (no daughter for me yet) to go be strippers.

On the other hand, I would love all my niece to have a part time college job with flexible hours and the real possibility of making $100+ per hour. Later, I hope she marries a man she can really enjoy having sex with.

Most mentally healthy women enjoy being sexy and are comfortable with their sexuality. If pole dancing is how they choose to express it, what's the harm?

I mean, besides working in an abusive environment with sketchy co-workers, many of whom are strung out....

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I mean, besides working in an abusive environment with sketchy co-workers, many of whom are strung out....

Truth.

While the "college girl" making money dancing meme is popular, and no doubt true in some situations; prostitution, drug use and organized crime are far more prevalent in the strip club industry.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
America has always had a weird relationship with sex and sexualilty. I don't want my niece (no daughter for me yet) to go be strippers.

On the other hand, I would love all my niece to have a part time college job with flexible hours and the real possibility of making $100+ per hour. Later, I hope she marries a man she can really enjoy having sex with.

Most mentally healthy women enjoy being sexy and are comfortable with their sexuality. If pole dancing is how they choose to express it, what's the harm?

Ask Krissy. She's in Cedar Grove Cemetery, in Peabody, MA. I can give you good directions.

Or better yet, ask Krissy's mom.

Dancer murdered in Peabody

Photo by The Associated Press
Police subdue a friend of slain dancer Kristen S. Crowley as he attempts to attack Mrs. Crowley's accused murderers.

By Ed Golden, Associated Press writer
tab.gif

PEABODY -- Kristen Crowley was married, worked for a computer company and drove a Ford utility vehicle. Unbeknownst to most of her family, she also had made extra money as an exotic dancer at private parties.

Over the weekend, she was attacked and killed as she made her way between both worlds; she had stopped to buy groceries as she headed home after performing at a party.

(snip)

He said the clerk saw Mr. Keegan look at Mrs. Crowley and then say he "wanted a piece of that." He said the clerk quoted Mr. Dykens as saying repeatedly, "You know what we've got to do."

Authorities, who said the suspects did not know their alleged victim, said they had been drinking earlier in the night at the Golden Banana strip joint on Route 1.

Mr. Weiner said the pair followed Mrs. Crowley to her condominium, about a half mile away. She was found dead half an hour later in a wooded area off a parking lot of the complex.

Authorities determined she had been struck in the head and neck with a 35-pound rock.

a3a.jpg

Photo by The Associated Press
Susan Gove, right, parent of murder victim Kristen Crowley, puts her face into her hand as Gov. Paul Cellucci, addresses the Legislature's Criminal Justice Committee on capital punishment bills at the Statehouse in Boston yesterday. Anna Schiavina, mother of murdered Springfield police officer Michael Schiavina, looks on.
Source

Krissy's attackers were convicted of 1st Degree Murder.

Krissy, and Madison:

Attachments

• $krissy.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 206
  • $krissy and madison.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 188

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You'll have to excuse me. I meant pole dancing as in the classes you can take in the evening with a bunch of other ladies. These are done for recreation, excersice and fun NOT to earn money or work in a strip club. This is done for Personal satisfaction, for the lark, cause it's a hoot not to get some guys rocks off in the back of dark stinky club. I don't put a price on any woman's dignity. Please don't mix up sexuality and prostitution. I am all for the former.

Guys, the strippers don't want to be there. That ain't a dream job, it's all about the $$$$$$. The happier they look, the more they giggle and flirt, the more they can make you believe that they are Happy to be there, happy you are there too , and Luv what they are doing ( including the sex if that is on the menu) the more $$$$ they make. This I think is explotive on both the men and women's parts. Both parties seem to get what they want and need however so I don't condem or condone eithier. I just don't think I have that right.

Lori

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grendel, most jobs are about the $$$$$$. The question is whether the money, rewards, dangers and working conditions are better than other alternatives.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tellner, most jobs bring something else to the table other than money. Some sort of satisfaction, raise in self worth, pride or workmanship, social networking, oppertunity to gain marketable and social skills, something other than just money.
Stripping robs a woman of self worth, reduces her social circle, is not something she will put on a resume and exposes her to the dubious social contacts. The ONLY positive is the money. That is a big differece between working in KFC for $7.00/hour and a stripp club for $50.00/hour. $43.00 /hour is the price per hour of dignity and some girls soul.

Lori

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sadly Lori, "Some sort of satisfaction, raise in self worth, pride or workmanship, social networking, oppertunity to gain marketable and social skills," doesn't keep a roof over people's heads or feed the kids.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
How right you are my friend. Who can fault a mother for doing anything it takes to put a roof over her childs head and make sure it is fed, safe and has the oppertunity for a proper education? Hard to do on $7.00 an hour. I know I would opt for the $50.00 job in a heartbeat.
Good point Ken. And with that I say Adieu' for a while. :cheers:
Cheers
Lori

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly Lori, "Some sort of satisfaction, raise in self worth, pride or workmanship, social networking, oppertunity to gain marketable and social skills," doesn't keep a roof over people's heads or feed the kids.
This is true, but the prepared work, the unprepared strip, and prostitution just offers the unprepared even more money. Who doesn't want more money? Stay in school girls!
Sean