***PLEASE READ THIS***

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
For those of you that know me, you know I am a pretty straight forward guy. I am currently stationed here in Bosnia-Herzegovina. On 28 July 2003 I was called to the scene of an automobile accident where a young soldier was fighting for his life. He subsequently died as result of his injuries. Please let the people back home know that although things have quieted down after the war here, it is still a dangerous place. Please honor this soldier by reading this article in the hyperlink below.

Respectfully,
kenpo3631
Soldier Article

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... to he and his family. I have friends who visit Bosnia several times per year as part of an outreach program for children. He told a story about his taking a walk up a beautiful hill and enjoying the scenery. The next day a local stepped on a mine in that same area. It is not safe, and it has not "gone away."

America and her soldiers are in more countries and "at risk" in more nations abroad, than I remember in the past 50 years. We have simultaneous operations ongoing all over the world. I am strongly patriotic and support all our soldiers everywhere. But the recent events in the Middle East, Western Africa, & Afghanistan (which has not gone away and is still extremely volatile), overshadow the crisis in Korea, the Philippines, or Europe. I worry that the majority of the public loses site of how very thinly we are spread all over the world ... probably due to the way the American media focuses on one or two areas at a time, then lets them go when something else sensational happens.

Sorry for going on, but this tragedy reminds me of how spread out we are, where we still are, and how American's lives can be lost so far from home. Obviously a sore spot for me and I apologize for in any way, minimizing the loss of this young soldier.

Our prayes are with him, and safe journey to all still overseas serving our nation.

Oss

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My brother-in-law was stationed there 3 years back. It's easily forgotten, it seems, amidst the news from Iraq and Afghanistan.

O

ob2c

I really feel for the families of all the servicemen and women who have died around the world. They have a dangerous job even in training, but those dangers are compounded when they are deployed. However, I'd also like to say well done to all our forces overseas. Look at what they've done- it is really amazing. They keep peace in areas that havn't known that for centuries. They have liberated Afghanistan and Iraq, and while those countries aren't completely secured, they are liberated and well along the road to self governance. The media focuses on each death of a serviceman like we are loosing the fight, ignoring their successes. But it was pointed out on a radio talk show (don't remember which one) that the death rate of Americans in Iraq would be an enviable murder rate in most major US cities. Every death is a tragedy, and I salute those who put their lives on the line for freedom. I also salute their achievements. So along with my sympathies, please accept my deepest respect.

OP
kenpo3631

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to you all. I have worked in EMS for 12 years and no matter how many times you see a a mangled patient having one die never gets any easier. It's especially harder when he is a brother in arms. Thank you again all of you for taking the time to read the article and paying honor to SPC Blake Kelly.:asian:

Tad

White Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo 3631

I work for the Sheriff's Office here in Polk County Nebraska. Sheriff Davis had help the Army give the death message to Blake Kelley's family. It has been a tough week for the whole community here. I first met Blake when I had to have my tires changed on my squad car. He worked at the tire shop on Saturdays. He was a great young man who had a bright future a head of him. Blake was very active in the church. He joined the National Guard because he loved his country. Blake's funeral is tomarrow and most of the Sheriff's Offfice will be there. I think sometimes people forget the price we pay for freedom. We really should support all our friends and family that are serving our country. I want to thank you for all you did to try to save Blake. Take care of yourself over there.

Thanks

Tad A Werneburg Sr.
8 years Army

Latest Discussions