Philip K. Dick: Any Other Fans of His Here?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the time he wrote, PKD didn't get paid much per book, so he cranked out novel after novel and story after story just to make ends meet. With that in mind, it becomes more impressive when you realize the quality that all his writing has.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy a lot of Dick's writing. Unfortunately -- many of the movies made from his books and stories are given very superficial treatment of the source material...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I enjoy a lot of Dick's writing. Unfortunately -- many of the movies made from his books and stories are given very superficial treatment of the source material...

While I agree with your sentiment about the movies, I'm always struck by how they have what I'd call Dickian nuances hidden within.

For example, there's evidence to support the notion that at the end of Total Recall, Quade is actually still strapped in, at Recall....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While I agree with your sentiment about the movies, I'm always struck by how they have what I'd call Dickian nuances hidden within.

For example, there's evidence to support the notion that at the end of Total Recall, Quade is actually still strapped in, at Recall....

True; a lot of them have managed to capture some of that sort of thing. And I do understand that some things won't work, or a short story may have to be fleshed out a bit. Just some of them have seemed to sacrifice some of the depth to become more of an action movie...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
See thats why I dont read that way I can enjoy movies

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Love the books. Some of the movies are okay. Blade runner is a movie I didn't appreciate at the time I first saw it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He's one of my favorite classic SF authors. Really good stories.

Latest Discussions