Pen Like Weapon

runnerninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was introduced to a weapon at tai jutsu last night. It is a small wooden weapon that is similar in shape to a pen. It goes to a slight point at the ends and is useful for pressure point and muscle strikes aswekk as striking places like the bridge of the nose and for assisting in wrist locks. I think it begins with the letter 'K' and ends with 'bo' but I may be wrong.

Any ideas what this is called?

Cheers
PAul

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are a number of variants, the one you are thinking of is called a Kubotan, named for it's "inventor", Takayuki Kubota, although I don't think that's exactly what you were using.

The origin weapon is a short stick designed to fit across the palm of the hand, with a small section protruding out each end, known as a Yawara, or a Tenouchi, or a few other names in different systems. Kubota's version has a keyring attached to make it legal to carry, as it's not a weapon then, but essentially it's the same thing.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a kubotan. Very handy item to train with. ;)

kubotan.jpg

Edit...Chris beat me to it. Oh you tricky Ninjas! :D

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kubotan are metal, and have a keyring (as per your picture), so I'm still going for Yawara, simply misnamed in all likelihood. This one was wooden, and there is no mention of any ring. For what it's worth, though, some versions of Yawara sticks had a loop of cord in the middle to hold it in place (the loop is put over your second or third finger, like a ring). A third variant is what was called a Yubi Bo, although this is typically a bit longer, about 8 inches.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep, that's them. Very fun. I've also seen a version in the Amok groups, sharpened to a nasty point at each end, to use against a knife. The idea is that because they are made of wood, they are less likely to be taken off you if travelling, but the things are still quite nasty.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a "Sharkie" pen that works the same way as the kubotan ya'll are talking about. Looks like an oversize sharpie marker but it's very heavy and works well as an SD weapon...or as a marker.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Have trained with them and they can be used quite effectively. However, now I just carry a mini mag-light. (Two AA size) just as effective as a yawara or a kubaton IMHO.

Michael

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have trained with them and they can be used quite effectively. However, now I just carry a mini mag-light. (Two AA size) just as effective as a yawara or a kubaton IMHO.

Michael
Kubotons are all well and good, but just look around you and see how the enviornment provides them for you.
sean

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a "Sharkie" pen that works the same way as the kubotan ya'll are talking about. Looks like an oversize sharpie marker but it's very heavy and works well as an SD weapon...or as a marker.

You too??? I was given one as a gift...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kubotan are metal, and have a keyring (as per your picture), so I'm still going for Yawara, simply misnamed in all likelihood. This one was wooden, and there is no mention of any ring. For what it's worth, though, some versions of Yawara sticks had a loop of cord in the middle to hold it in place (the loop is put over your second or third finger, like a ring). A third variant is what was called a Yubi Bo, although this is typically a bit longer, about 8 inches.

The original Kubotans were that composite plastic..I remember a time when you had to attend a class to carry one ( as a cop)..They were all black in color except if you had an instructors cert, then they gave you a white one..

akonpittbull

White Belt
Reaction score
I think the scientist will invent pen size nuclear Bomb one day. I can say this because lots of things they have invented till date and now this one is the latest. So If I can see the future then my prediction can be the right one.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Um... what? Inventors and scientists have invented things? If you can see into the future then you can predict things? And really, what does any of this have to do with the thread, other than your seeming connection to anything to do with a pen (your three posts in total are all linked in with this idea, including necro-ing a thread on acupressure and acupuncture to mention a laser-pen, necro-ing [although not to the same degree] a thread on collapsible batons to mention your love of kubotans as pen-style weapons [even though it comes directly after people talking about how they can't be taken on planes, your entire comment is how good they are because you can use them anywhere], and now here).

When we combine that with your signature of "Logo pens", a link to a pen-ordering website, and your martial art and experience being listed as "10", I'm not getting good feelings here.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the scientist will invent pen size nuclear Bomb one day. I can say this because lots of things they have invented till date and now this one is the latest. So If I can see the future then my prediction can be the right one.
Critical Mass?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Am wondering if this is what the OP was talking about?? http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-SD2-Mini-Koga/dp/B0016CRBYO/ref=pd_sim_sg_7
I am a great fan of the Kubotan and carry a mini-mag around in my back pocket while I'm at work. However I have it so that I can give it to the last person in my group as they can turn it on when I call their name out during the tour and let me know they're still there by flashing the light at me ... looking down a long line of people (uptowards 40-45) in my group I have to make sure I have all of them.
Yeah it does leave me WITHOUT my kubotan but I'm not wholly defenseless. I still have my pocket folder and my 2 D cell MagLite which is adequate enough to deter any idiocy in the cave.

Fun little stuff... and I wonder if the "Sharkie" is legal to carry on airliners or has the *ahem* pen reached the "no-fly" list?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not just get a good pen?

I'm never without my Mont Blanc Pen.

ANd here ya go....

Attachments

• $thestupiditburns.jpeg
    $thestupiditburns.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 210

Latest Discussions